HELP !! Applying for British passports for my Oz born kids .

janieco

I am a British citizen with perminent residency in Oz since 1974. I need to apply for British pass ports for my 2 kids, both born in OZ.

One is 19 years old and one is 8 years old. Can any one advice me as to what forms I need to down load for the applications as I am worried I will fill in the wrong ones. I think I need a FORM C1 and a FORM C2.

Also are they entitled to hold a British one ???? There is a lot of conflicting info on the net and I have 8 weeks to get it sorted. :unsure:

They can have one and you download the forms and get all the things together and make an appointment at the post office just the same as you do for an aus one these days. My children have had theirs for a long long time. They send the applications to NZ these days and they process them there.

This link will help you http://auspost.com.au/personal/united-kingdom-british-passports.html

Yup, C1 for the big one and C2 for the little one! Better get on to it, they do say a 6 week turn around

Thanks Quoll, yes I had better get my skates on. I will not book any tickets untill I have them safely in my hands. I have not been on here for a while and when having a quick read of some posts realised that you were back in the U.K. I was so happy for you as I know how much it has meant to you, ENJOY ,and all the best to you. You have always been so supportive of others and I am wrapped that your own dreams are being realised xx

Yes they can both have passports if you are British born. I think I understood it that your children are entitled but it stops with them ie they would have to have kids with a Brit for your grandchildren to have British passports. Have to have interview at the post office, but double check everything or they will send you away.

Yes they can both have passports if you are British born. I think I understood it that your children are entitled but it stops with them ie they would have to have kids with a Brit for your grandchildren to have British passports. Have to have interview at the post office, but double check everything or they will send you away.

IIRC if they are citizens by descent and live in UK for (I think) 5 years then they can pass on their UK citizenship to their kids, they dont have to marry a Brit.

[h=1]There are ways your children can pass on the citizenship by descent to their children, the Ancestry visa or by double descent.

Ancestry Visa. 5 years continuous residency (with absences amounting to no more than 6 months in total and specifically no more than 3 months at any one time).

British Citizenship by Double Descent[/h]More Information

British Citizenship through Double Descent is possible where you have a grandparent born in the United Kingdom (or Ireland before 31.12.1922). The criteria for gaining British Nationality from a grandfather or grandmother born in the UK or Ireland are where:

• the grandparent was in Crown Service at the time your parent's birth; OR
  • one of your parents was born in a territory administered by the United Kingdom. In general, if you and either of your parents were born in different countries, and you have a UK or Irish grandparent, then you may meet the criteria of British Nationality by Double Descent, OR
  • A grandparent born in the UK (or Ireland before 1922), OR
  • A British parent.

IIRC if they are citizens by descent and live in UK for (I think) 5 years then they can pass on their UK citizenship to their kids, they dont have to marry a Brit.

Yes or the five year option I had forgot about that one, thanks Quoll. I feel I may have over complicated this topic sorry, bottom line is yes if your are british born your kids can have a passport and do it asap, as you never know when the rules will change and they are bound to at some point :err:

Yes or the five year option I had forgot about that one, thanks Quoll. I feel I may have over complicated this topic sorry, bottom line is yes if your are british born your kids can have a passport and do it asap, as you never know when the rules will change and they are bound to at some point :err:

Usually rule changes only apply to those born after the changes.

Archived