Can anyone tell me anything about Orford?

fonsie

So many choices about where to live. :confused:

Initially we seriously considered the Huon Valley area. We are now looking at Orford area. From what I can gather, it gets heaps of tourists in summer. I looked at google maps and the beaches looked stunning. Would it take more than one hour to travel to Hobart? I believe they have a supermarket, I'm not sure what type, but I would imagine it would be small independent or IGA. If anyone has any knowledge or advise about the area, I would really appreciate it.

Aly

I think it would take about an hour and 10 minutes to Orford. The road in places is quite narrow especially approaching Orford where it is wedged between steep cliffs going upwards on one side and a steep drop downwards to the river on the other. It is certainly not as good as the road between Hobart and Huonville. I don't know of anyone commuting to Hobart for work from Orford, whereas a lot of people do that from the Huon Valley. It is basically a seaside and fishing town, much smaller than Huonville and the area around is much more sparsely populated - traditionally dry and poor soil and used for sheep farming. It gets less rainfall than the Huon Valley, which might sound good, but it may mean having to be very water-saving conscious in dry summers. It would also be warmer than the Huon Valley, especially in winter, although there are some shady, hilly sections of the road which can get a bit icy in winter...especially Bust Me Gall Hill and Black Charlie's Opening....genuine names, I kid you not!:biggrin:

It has at least one - maybe two? - small family owned supermarkets, certainly not the Coles and Woolworths type. I think most people from Orford would go at least to Sorell for any major shopping, or maybe even to Eastlands at Rosny/Bellerive on the eastern shore of Hobart.

It certainly has a very different feel about it to the Huon Valley. I think you are just going to have to get a holiday rental for some time and travel some miles doing a reccie!

I think it would take about an hour and 10 minutes to Orford. The road in places is quite narrow especially approaching Orford where it is wedged between steep cliffs going upwards on one side and a steep drop downwards to the river on the other. It is certainly not as good as the road between Hobart and Huonville. I don't know of anyone commuting to Hobart for work from Orford, whereas a lot of people do that from the Huon Valley. It is basically a seaside and fishing town, much smaller than Huonville and the area around is much more sparsely populated - traditionally dry and poor soil and used for sheep farming. It gets less rainfall than the Huon Valley, which might sound good, but it may mean having to be very water-saving conscious in dry summers. It would also be warmer than the Huon Valley, especially in winter, although there are some shady, hilly sections of the road which can get a bit icy in winter...especially Bust Me Gall Hill and Black Charlie's Opening....genuine names, I kid you not!:biggrin:

It has at least one - maybe two? - small family owned supermarkets, certainly not the Coles and Woolworths type. I think most people from Orford would go at least to Sorell for any major shopping, or maybe even to Eastlands at Rosny/Bellerive on the eastern shore of Hobart.

It certainly has a very different feel about it to the Huon Valley. I think you are just going to have to get a holiday rental for some time and travel some miles doing a reccie!

Thanks so much for all that info. That is our plan to get a holiday rental for a few weeks, and have a look round. My OH has been to Tas before, but it was a long time ago. I used to live in QLD in a little fishing village outside Bundaberg with a little local shop/post office, so I have a bit of an idea what the 'supermarket' would be like. Thanks also for the info on the weather and soil, all relevant, especially as we have been looking at some rental properties, some of which are on tank water only. This obviously could be an issue!

Cheers

Aly

One of the characters of that part of Tasmania is their very French Mayor (his email address starts lefrogscorner :biggrin:)

Information about him here:

http://www.freycinetcoast.info/freycinetcoast.info/The_French_Mayor.html

Yes, being dependent on tank water can be a problem. The last two years have been OK, but for several years before that we did have some very dry weather on the east coast, so it's always worth keeping in mind.

Just a very quick point; I'd allow for more than "a few weeks" in a holiday rental. You may find somewhere very quickly but it's equally possible you won't. Often (not always) you won't be able to see a rental until a few days time or next week. Then when you apply, the application process will take a few days or more. Only once that is through will you get a date that you'll be able to move in.

So allowing for some proper looking around your possible areas (and it sounds like you're getting a list of these which is great) etc it can easily take a month or more before you're able to move into your first rental. It may not of course, but you don't want to be feeling rushed to vacate your holiday rental so you'll take a less than optimum "proper" rental property.

Archived