Aircraft Engineer Avionics Advice Needed!?

elizawilliam

Hello! We are in the process of applying for a spouse visa (I am Australian, husband British). My husband is an aircraft engineer avionics with 22 years in the royal navy on Seakings. I have not lived in Oz for over 20 years. We are trying to find out what work there is likely to be for my husband in Oz and whether he should try to complete his licence before we go (he has started it but would take until Nov to finish). Is it better to go armed with the licence or start again in Oz? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Found a thread on aircraft engineers but was all about skilled migrant visas which doesn't apply for us.

I'm an incorporated mechanical engineer (NOT a car mechanic ;)) and think it is unfortunately unlikely that you'll get an answer on here - Many users are from more mainstream occupations and trades.

Having said that, I do remember one of those "Phil down under" or "Wanted down under" shows where a UK Qualified helicopter engineer had to re-train in Australia because they diddnt recognise his qualification.

However, they were happy to pay for it on the basis that he was contracted for a few years afterwards.

im an aircraft engineer in avionics, so there!

i didnt have a good answer so i kept my head down.

my family and i are in the process of migrating on a 176 using my trade, i am currently unlicensed, and intend to do the license in oz.

i would assume the courses are much the same, the aircraft obviously are, except the flying upside down thing.

so get them done asap while the books are still fresh in your memory.

good luck :)

im an aircraft engineer in avionics, so there!

i didnt have a good answer so i kept my head down.

my family and i are in the process of migrating on a 176 using my trade, i am currently unlicensed, and intend to do the license in oz.

i would assume the courses are much the same, the aircraft obviously are, except the flying upside down thing.

so get them done asap while the books are still fresh in your memory.

good luck :)

Hi! Have read other threads which suggested you must get the licence first and my husband was told he would have difficulty getting hired without the licence - funny how 22 years fixing helicopters in the navy doesn't count in the real world! Problem is husband is out of the navy in May and we are both homeless and jobless (Navy houses us!) so staying and doing the licence would put us in a bad position economically as oh couldn't work while doing his licence fulltime and we would need to be in Perth Scotland where he has begun the licence (currently in Hampshire). Sorry for life story its a bit complicated but terrified of going and not getting any work. Previous thread on here suggested there is no point without the licence which has made me wobbly. Thought it was in demand trade, etc so should be work and as pp suggested could train on the job to Aussie standard.

Guest Guest16631

.........I am a licensed avionics engineer (rotary wing) B2 with type ratings. The new part 66 Australian licences are equivalent to European licences. If you can come over with any licence it will make finding work so much easier.

Good luck........................that's OH..........I am a over qualified housewife.....taxi driver...Cook........counsellor......etc etc.........he pressed button before I had my say...........will help with any questions.........we came over from uk army......no home to sell either!...........been here about 20 years ...............it's doable...........good luck from me........tink x

• 3 months later...
Guest steve vowell

Hi I am also an av eng but on commercial aircraft I have just converted my licence To a CASA 66 licence. The bad news is it took me over a year to do this. Sorry.

CASA will not covert your licence without having a type rating and holding a company approval for 6 months so it might be easier to go then do your licence. You also have to sit the Oz air legistlation (AA module) unfortunatly this can only be done in Oz.

Let me know if you want any assistance.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve

Thanks so much for your reply - its exactly what we needed to know. Do you know how much it costs (approx) to do the licence in Australia? OH has done a few modules while we wait for his spouse visa so definitely not doing any more. May get him on here as I expect he has lots of questions! Thanks again

Guest steve vowell

Hi Eliza.

I have no idea on the cost of licence courses but exam costs are on the CASA website. I did my AA exam with a company called Queensland Aviation College (QAC), I have just taken a look at their website and they do self study packs so might be worth a look.

Steve.

Archived