How much do I need to emmigrate?

JoandGareth

I was just hoping for some general advice/personal experiences/opinions.

We have already been granted our visa and we will be moving to Perth in Jan2013 and wondered what a good amount to take out there is to get set up with accommodation, cars etc.

We don't have a massive amount of money as we are not selling our house here in the UK till we are sure we can settle in Oz and hopefully house prices will improve in the UK. So all we will have to take is the sale of our cars and savings that we have already. We are looking to move to Joondalup suburbs i.e. Mindarie/Butler/Quiins Rock area. Have already paid for a 12 week furnished rental which has cost us $9000, and will have to look for long term rental whist we are waiting for our container to arrive.

We will hopefully both find job pretty quickly when we arrive my husband will be working full time and myself part-time. We have one child who is 4 years old. How much in regards of salary do you need to earn jointly to have a comfotable lifestyle?? and once we have paid out for flights, removals, initial accomodation. How much would we need in the bank initially to get by till we get a job??

I appreciate there is a lot of things to take into account but any help would be much appreciated. As we are not taking the equity out of our house just yet it seems a daunting experience going without a fare amount of dollars in the bank.

Guest haunted1234

food, bills, schooling..... my hubby is on $90000 a year which would be very comfortable were we not still paying for our house in the UK....we would have around $2000 a month spare! i am not currently working.

not sure how schooling works in Perth, but even state schools here, you have a book list and contributions to pay etc, so around $400 a year per child, whioch includes uniforms etc.

also health care, we have medibank which costs us around $500 a month as we are on a temp visa (and son has orthodontic work needed so we had to get the top one!)

we also had to buy two cars....which we currently have on finance(until we sell our uk house) they cost us around $900 a month too.

if you have any other questions fire away!

it's so worth the struggle! even though we are struggling at present....we struggled in the UK, were constantly overdrawn, and i worked full time! :o)

It depends on your lifestyle and really how quickly you get into a job(although it is easier to find work in Perth than UK). We arrived with $10k, but my OH had a job lined up and when I arrived a compnay that I speculatively sent my CV to contact me straight after arriving. Once you start earning Aussie dollar it becomes easy - its just that initial time you have to live lean.

• 2 weeks later...

Second hand cars are more expensive here so you will lose out on selling in the uk and buying here. We bought an old car for me that will be fine for a couple of years. You will need a lump sum for the rental deposit when you find a house which they hold until you move out, plus a months rent up front. Customs fees for your container coming in aren't normally covered in your uk removal costs because they have to be paid over here. Allow quite a lot for shopping in the first month or two. Firstly, things cost more here, Secondly, you are stocking up on everything at once (food, store cupboard basics, cleaning products, medicines) and it takes a while for that to tail off.

Archived