Already got visa but think i need a new passport

scarlet mia

Hi

We recieved our visa,s back in September and now plan to move in August this year. My hubby,s passport is due to expire in April 2013 so he only has 8 months left on it when we actually get there. I am thinking it would be best to get a new one before we went but is it easy enough to do as he already has the visa in the one he has now. Just wondering who to contact should we contact the case officer who dealt with us.

Thanks for any advise.

It's pretty straightforward.

You fill in Form 929, post it to Australia House along with a certified copy of your new passport, and they'll update their records. Or you could pop into Australia House with your passport and the completed form and they'll do it there and then.

If you renew a passport early then you can carry up to nine months onto the new one. So if you submitted it for renewal a month before you departed, the new one would be valid until April 2023. (OK, that might be cutting it a bit fine...)

I believe that it's a lot cheaper doing it in the UK, so doing it before you go would be my suggestion.

what he said.

I would definitely renew before you go, it's significantly cheaper, and means you won't be without ID for a while, which can be annoying in your first year as you're often still signing up to new stuff that does need ID (I got caught out when I wanted to open a savings account, a few months after I first arrived - hadn't been able to renew before I left since I was living in switzerland and travelling a lot in the moths before I left)

It's pretty straightforward.

You fill in Form 929, post it to Australia House along with a certified copy of your new passport, and they'll update their records. Or you could pop into Australia House with your passport and the completed form and they'll do it there and then.

If you renew a passport early then you can carry up to nine months onto the new one. So if you submitted it for renewal a month before you departed, the new one would be valid until April 2023. (OK, that might be cutting it a bit fine...)

I believe that it's a lot cheaper doing it in the UK, so doing it before you go would be my suggestion.

Thanks for the info thats really helpful. I have looked at the form and I am still a bit unsure as to where to send it. Do you think I should send it to the Adelaide office where my visa was granted.

Thanks again

Thats brilliant, I didn't realise you could send it to Australia House. I have renewed my passport, but haven't filled the form in yet, because both my kids passports have run out as well now!! Nightmare. so I think I'll get them renewed, fill out a form for each and take a trip to Australia House. Thanks everyone, feel better about it now, I was a bit worried!!

Just had another thought, do you need to have that all important orange visa label put in your new passport too?

When I rang them I asked about having the label put in all our passports but the man said you don,t need them in anymore but if you want one you can still have one in. If you are going in person to Australia House I think they can do it while you wait if not they have to be sent special delivery.

Archived