Has anyone ever broke their lease agreement?

Anotherfinemess

Hi,

Just wondering has anyone ever broken their lease agreement? We signed a 12 month lease on the 11th November but there are a few things about the place that were not happy with now and the property manager is useless about getting them sorted. I know we probably cant break it without paying a huge amount of compensation but I'm just curious if anyone has ever had to go that far?

Thanks man,

I've looked at all that before but it doesn't help much unfortunately. I'll have to ring the legal helpline. I've a feeling it will be more trouble than it's worth which is why I was wondering about other peoples experience

We broke our lease in Brisbane as we were moving to Melbourne. We told the agent of our proposed move date and asked them to advertise with three weeks free rent so that this would be a draw card, we had paid this much in advance anyway so we thought better this than have to find another 4 months rent to the end of our lease. We also advertised on this site trying to find a tenant that we could put forward to the agent. We made sure that we were around on the day of the viewing so that we could be as helpful and informative as possible and could point out all the benefits of the house and smooth over the negatives. We managed to have 4 interested partys out of 5 that looked that day and they found a tenant no problem.

Guest Guest16631

.........son broke a 12 month lease after 4 in Sydney................was promised a few things would be fixed .........cooker down to 2 burners.................cracked bathroom sink................hole in Lino in bathroom..( huge...) .......when after 3 months nothing had been done............he took photo's of the problems............told the landlord he was prepared to wait for the new tenant's................as long as he was advertising.............or the problems were to be fixed in the next week or he would withhold the rent...........( the promise to fix had been in writing on the property agreement...............he moved on.................if you have an agreement in writing that the things havn't been done..........the free tenancy advice service .........http://Www.legalaidact.org.au if things cannot be resolved...........good luck tink x

We broke our lease after 5 months. We had to pay the shortfall in rent for 25 weeks as the new tenant had a cheaper rent. If there had been no tenant to take over then we would have had to pay the whole rent for 25 weeks so in the end it cost us $750 to get out of it and it was a $600 a week rent - all in all not too bad.

Strangely enough the previous tenants were also leaving before their lease was up but as we took a lease on the property they didn't pay any rent excess.

If you can find another tenant and I ran the open houses myself for ours the. You should be able to get out relatively scot free.

Goosd luck

Archived