Sydney - want to make friends and have fun!

Hey everyone,

My name's Natalie and I'm 27 from Manchester. I'm coming over on a WHV to live in Sydney. I won't get there until the beginning of September but I'll be completely by myself!! I would love to make lots of friends who I can go to bars, restaurants and the beach with and just generally live the life. Although it's 8 months away I've been reading some of the posts about meet ups and it's made things seem a little less scary!! So if anyone wants to keep in touch so that we can eventually meet then please PM me!

Speak soon hopefully x

The pub I like best in Surry Hills - The Trinity Bar - always seem to be looking for staff and they employ a few Brits & Irish on WHV. They work hard in there but they seem to have a good social life that seems to evolve around spending their 'down' time in the Trinity too!

Book into a hostel for a while when you first arrive - YHA, say, or maybe 'Bounce' which also looks OK (from the outside.) You should have no problems.

Thanks Mary! I've just booked 2 weeks at the bounce as it looks pretty nice and near surry hills. So it will give me a chance to check out areas to live (I'm thinking bondi or surry but recommendations are welcome) plus get a job. I'm hoping to get a proper job as I'm an account manager at a big advertising agency here in the UK so I want to do the same in Sydney and hope it leads to sponsorship but we'll see how that works. I might have to do bar work for a bit first.

Thanks Mary! I've just booked 2 weeks at the bounce as it looks pretty nice and near surry hills. So it will give me a chance to check out areas to live (I'm thinking bondi or surry but recommendations are welcome) plus get a job. I'm hoping to get a proper job as I'm an account manager at a big advertising agency here in the UK so I want to do the same in Sydney and hope it leads to sponsorship but we'll see how that works. I might have to do bar work for a bit first.

I hope 'Bounce' is OK because I've only walked past it a few times and thought it looked OK. I did have a drink in the bar on ground level and I think there is also a roof terrace. The location is excellent, on Chalmers St, between both entrances to Central Station so get the train from the airport (if you can afford it!) and you are about 50 yards from the hostel. Surry Hills 'proper' is just around the corner, up Devonshire St, to Crown St. There are plenty of buses nearby too, either to the city and the Eastern subs, or, from the other side of Central, out towards the western subs.

I stayed in the YHA at Central for a couple of nights between moves and had a good time there. One of the blokes there had just arrived on a WHV and the next time I saw him, a couple of years later in the Trinity, he had got sponsored from a job onto a 457 visa.

I was down at Bondi Beach yesterday evening to meet a friend and we had a good Thai meal just off the beach in the road alongside the Hotel Bondi. There seemed to be plenty going on there and lots of young people 'too-ing & fro-ing' past our pavement table. Personally, I prefer to live in Surry Hills and go out to whichever beach I fancy. Bondi is good but you are still 'trapped' there in a way in that you have to bus into the city or get the train at Bondi Junction, before you can go anywhere else in the city. But that's just my personal preference! Living in Surry Hills is like being at the hub of the wheel rather than at the end of one of the spokes. You just have to look around and see which area grabs you - Newtown, Glebe, Balmain, Paddington, Kings Cross, maybe Neutral Bay or Crows Nest over the Bridge or Manly.

You sound like you might be a 'go-getter' (unlike myself!)

Sorry that should say 'I've just done it' That will teach me for not proof reading it!

I was just thinking 'I'm not going to send my kids to her school' too! I'm always going back to edit out errors if spot them in my own posts. Seriously, there are some shocking spelling mistakes on PIO. My Mum was a teacher too and she'd be 'knocking more than a few head!'

I was just thinking 'I'm not going to send my kids to her school' too! I'm always going back to edit out errors if I spot them in my own posts. Seriously, there are some shocking spelling mistakes on PIO. My Mum was a teacher too and she'd be 'knocking more than a few head!'

Typical! I did make an error - always the way!!! No 'I' between 'if' and 'spot' - so much for my taking the high moral ground!

Bearded 'lady' outside 'Bounce' earlier this evening.

030.jpg

030.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi mate moving out in a couple of weeks to manly how did you find your place im looking for a flat share maybe, how did you find finding a place , maybe meet for a beer or two .

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Natalie,

My name is Tori, I am 29 and I moved to Aus 3 years ago and have lived on the South coast - I am however moving to Balmain at the end of the month and very keen to make new friends so lets keep in touch and go for a drink when you get here. Hopefully by then I will know the area pretty well :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laura katie

hi natalie, ive recently added another natalie on fb was that u? getting confused! i originally came on a WHV and now have been sponsored! i live in the city, stayed in bounce when it first opened for about 2 months, its certainly and upgrade from most hostels! laura :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived