175 or 176 visa ...Advice Needed

pauline

Can anyone advise the main difference between the 2 visas. We are looking into the 176 state sponsorship visa for Queensland but does this mean my oh needs to work as a (Carpenter/Joiner) for 2 years. We are just concerned that if we go over on that visa and he cant get a job in his trade is he allowed to do any other jobs or would we have to pack our bags and come home again ?????

Thanks

Can anyone advise the main difference between the 2 visas. We are looking into the 176 state sponsorship visa for Queensland but does this mean my oh needs to work as a (Carpenter/Joiner) for 2 years. We are just concerned that if we go over on that visa and he cant get a job in his trade is he allowed to do any other jobs or would we have to pack our bags and come home again ?????

Thanks

He can whatever job he wants regardless of what he has been sponsored for, obviously the state would like him to do his trade but it is not compulsory. The main differnece is the processing times for 176s are a lot quicker than 175s.

Get in quick as time is running out before 1st July.

Justin :wink:

It will be tight for you , vetassess are taking roughly 4-6 weeks from receipt of your paperwork , then u need to book your trade test ( carpenter is a common trade so book as soon as possible ) these run approximatly every 2-3 months , 25th of feb is totally booked up for all trades , the next one is 28th April , IIRC , then a 2 week wait for results and dont forget you need to get your SS ( state sponsorship ) sorted before you can submit to DIAC .

Its doable . but be proactive :-)

lee

ps you can apply to some states for SS without a positive skills assessment , its worth looking at , check to see if the states have carpenter on theyre nominated skills shortage list , and also see what theyre processing times are .

I think queensland SS is around 30 weeks , so its would actulally be quicker to get vetassess out the way , and then apply to WA who are around a week .

lee

Thanks for the info where do you find these timelines for applications and why do you think WA is around 1 week? Need to think about wa now as we had thought Brisbane was the place to go.

Paulinw

peeple post all the time about their time lines etc , the more your on the forum the more you'll pick up on peoples real life situations , i keep an eye on all my tradie mates , for vetassess etc , fellow WA applicants for SS times etc

Derham has just got his 176 in a smidge under 6 months from start to finish , DIAC took just 5 weeks for him IIRC .

WA is well known for being on the ball :-) Final DIAC applications can be upto 6 months from lodging , as soon as you get your Case officer ( CO ) and aslong as they dont ask for extra info or forms your looking at approx 4-8 weeks for a result

lee

Guest coldtootsies
lee

ps you can apply to some states for SS without a positive skills assessment , its worth looking at , check to see if the states have carpenter on theyre nominated skills shortage list , and also see what theyre processing times are .

lee

how do u apply for ss without skills assessment?i didnt know that u could do that??

I personally think you should do the VETASSESS first before applying for SS. Like Mr.Fabricator says some look for your VETASSESS first. VIc did on ours. As previously said VETASSESS can take ages to come back ...in our case almost 5 months and VIC SS is only valid for 4months!

Archived