Quick Medi care question

89mariah

Hello!

I am finally making the move to Sydney this month and while i know i am entitled to Medicare on my defacto visa i am unsure how i am going to able to prove that i am a UK resident.

I was born and bred in London but have an Irish passport (Irish Parents) to which my visa has been granted on.

On the medicare website it says to sign up using a UK passport, would any other identification be sufficient such a UK drivers license?

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure that temp spouse visa holders (which is what you have?) are entitled to Medicare in their own right. In which case it doesn't matter what passport they have (plenty of spouses come from countries other than the UK).

It looks like you are reading the Medicare eligibility for visitors under the reciprocal arrangement - which does require you to have a UK passport to be enrolled. Irish citizens get some Medicare services but not the full deal.

I would contact Medicare direct and ask them what you need to do (as a temp spouse visa holder) to enrol. The form does say

"have applied for a permanent visa (excludes an application for a parent visa)—other requirements apply. Contact Medicare for further information."

I think the temp spouse visa is included in the 'applied for a permanent visa' category.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived