417 visa and 457 visa. Contradicting answers to my questions.

Guest srfen0607

Guest srfen0607

Hi,

Please forgive me if the info I require is posted of the site already. I have been asking migrants about my 417 visa and a possible change to a 457 visa, I continually receive contradicting feedback.

My situation is:-

Currently in Perth,WA working for a civil engineering company on a 417 visa, as I can only work for this company for 6 months my boss has offered to put me forward for a 457 visa.

How much does the 457 cost? and will I be liable to pay this back to the company if I (the missus) have a change of mind in 6 or 9 months time and want to return to the UK?

If I accept the 457 can I still claim tax I paid when on a 417 visa?

If I decine the 457 and go home after when the 417 visa expires, can I claim back my tax and super?

Can I receive a living away from home allowance on a 457 visa?

Cheers

Normally the company will pick up all of the costs associated with the visa. I think the only thing i paid for was the police clearance which is about $25 and you will need one from Australian police and one from the UK.

I have never heard of a company asking for 457 costs to be repaid when someone leaves. Normally this is only done for sponsored permanent residence visas which as a lot more expensive. I have done both and my perm residence visa came with the requirement that if i leave within 2 years i repay on a sliding scale. So if i left after 1 year i would pay half. But i have never come across it for 457.

Your tax return would include all earnings for the tax year. You can not claim back the tax you pay while working on a 417 or a 457 or any other visa. Tax is tax. Though the tax rate is lower on a 457.

On both visas you are elibible to claim your super contributions back when you leave the country. In the case of the 457 if you leave before the visa expires then you need to inform immigration and they will provide evidence that your visa is cancelled which you pass to your super fund. Be aware that you would pay tax on the super contributions.

You can in theory claim living away from home allowance on a 457, however, this is about to be ended. Goverment have announced the entire scheme will come to an end.

No, you shouldnt have to pay back the cost assossiated with 457 if you leave your employer.

You can do a tax return when on 457, as it is your tax file number that is use, tax paid on 417 will be taken in to consideration, doing a tax return does not guarentee that you will get money back - (But I did when I was on 417 and 457 visas).

LAFHA is not coming to an end but the criteria for claiming is majorly changing and can not be used as a tax insentive for 457 now.http://www.ato.gov.au/content/00301331.htm

Archived