Moses basket

Cam

Hi,

We are arriving on 8th Feb, and I am due my second baby at the end of March. We weren't able to ship our moses basket due to it being wicker, does anyone have a spare one that they are not using any more or know of where I could get hold of one? The new prices are scary!! We have a mattress, sheets, and hood, so literally need the basket. We are moving to Sydney: Randwick area.

Many thanks,

Camilla

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Camilla,

I am pregnant too (first time!) and I really wanted a moses basket, but it seems that here, they seem to be more called bassinets. These seem to be plastic things, covered in frilly material and usually on a stand that you can push around the house. I don't personally like them! they usually start at about $140+ brand new.

I have checked out ebay, as I wanted a traditional wicker moses basket, just like what you had, but even on there they are very expensive. I did find a lovely website that has some gorgeous ones, but again they are so pricey and probably for the length of time that I would use it, it wouldn't be worth it. Here is the link if you want to have a nosy...and a shock!! http://www.bebelicious.com.au/

Good luck! Hope your move to Australia goes smoothly :)

Danielle

Hi Danielle,

Thanks for this, yes, we were really surprised too, it's the AQIS importation thing, think they're concerned that there could be an insect in the wicker which would spread and cause problems so it really pushes the price up. There are companies where you can hire baby stuff from and this includes moses baskets like the ones you were talking about and baby car seats, given the price of these and the not particularly good standard of Oz car seats it may be something worth considering.

Have you ever seen the website: http://www.mumsgone2aus.com she has an article on there about hiring baby equipment.

Where are you based, and when are you due?

Cam

x

• 2 months later...

Hi Cam,

Am sorry, I am not very good at this PIO thing and didn't even realise you had replied to my message...am so sorry, it is not that I am ignorant.

I am due 23 June and live in Werribee, western suburbs. What about you?

Have you got most things now for the baby? I ended up buying a Boori wooden crib thing as tehre wasn't much difference in price between that and a moses basket and it seems much more sturdier and long lasting. The biggest thing we need now is a car seat which I should probably get in the next few weeks. I have looked at the mumsgone2aus website but think I will just buy one that will last a few years as by the time I have hired one I could have probably bought one anyway and at least it is mine to keep.

Are you all settled over here now? How are you finding it?

Danielle xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we got a wooden mini cot thing, I think it was the Boori one, off Ebay for $100 seemed much better value for money than a moses basket, and to be honest it only stays beside the bed, as this time around, if we're in the house he sleeps there and if we're out he's in the sling or the carrycot, he's very comfy in it!! Good luck for June - not far off!! Are you ready?

We're in Bondi Junction which is very convenient for everything and are fairly settled mainly as I'm so busy with both kids at the moment!! We had our regrets for a while but I think you just have to get on with it and see how things pan out rather than think too much and thankfully our little girl is starting to settle now, she was really homesick and out of sorts for a while, so we felt really guilty!

Good luck all you expectant ladies!!

Hi Cam,

Your Boori things sounds like it might be the same idea as mine. I got mine from Mothercare (not quite as cheap as $100!!) but when I was looking at them and moses baskets, I did notice that it seemed much better value for money than the moses basket like you say. It is definately a lot more sturdy and you can see the money in it as oppose to a piece of wicker!!

Yeah, I feel ready now, only 5 and a half weeks to go which I wish would go faster as I just want to meet her now!!.

Glad to hear things are going well for you and you have settled in well.

Danielle

Archived