LOTE Teaching Jobs In Victoria - difficult to come by??

noble383

Hello!!!!

I am looking for a bit of information, ideally reassurance but mainly a 'warts n all' view of getting a teaching job in Victoria.

Basically I am going through the State Sponsored 176 Visa. I am a secondary French & Spanish teacher (I know there isnt many Spanish jobs in Victoria!!) and have 9 years of experience teaching in the UK and I am currently working at a top international school in Singapore. I have dual French/British citizenship which I would hope might count in my favour teaching French?!

I would have thought that if they are sponsoring me to come out to Victoria, there would be some kind of need for my subject?? I am just a bit concerned having heard people on this site and others talk about the severe lack of teaching jobs in Victoria. I certainly don't expect it to be easy, it never is, but the way some people have talked about it, it sounds virtually impossible!?!! I will be coming out with my husband, who is in finance and is likely to be based in Melbourne, but I understand I may have to cast my net further to get a job??

Also does anyone know generally what months the jobs start to come out, say for Feb 2013?

Thanks in advance for any help, information or advice you can offer!!!

I'd say you have a bit of a niche restriction there - you had probably better look to the private schools I would think. They tend to advertise on Seek and their own websites. Vacancies for a new year tend to start in about August but if you decide to go to the government system then you can get started and registered pretty much any time - http://www.education.vic.gov.au/careers/teaching/default.htm good place to start. You might want to think about translation and getting NAATI accredited to have another string to your bow if you cant get French/Spanish teaching jobs

Im not sure about French or spanish in schools as I have only seen Italian, Germany & Japanese taught at my boys schools.

Probably a good time to look for work would probably be around october or November before the schools break up for the xmas/summer holiday break. Teachers if they are moving schools etc (from what I have seen) tend to finish the year in December, and the schools are obviously notified prior to give them time to find replacements.

There are a number of teachers in Australia on this forum, so hopefully they can give you better info.

Not many schools offer Spanish though a few do have French. English as a second language tends to be taught by volunteers to new migrants but a few ESL teachers are employed to supervise the volunteer co-ordinators. I agree with others, you would probably have more chance in a private school, especially as you are an experienced teacher.

This is great info and some good ideas.....

I have worked already in both the private sector and state systems in UK, so I am happy to look at private schools and I know there are quite a few. I am also a teacher of the International Baccalureate in both languages which I believe are becoming more popular in Oz?

Is there any International Schools in Victoria?? I can't seem to find any info, although a couple in Sydney!!

Thanks again for all your info and some good links Furkew!!

• 1 year later...

Archived