Hervey Bay....too isolated??

paednurse

Hi all, I'm after some advice from any Queenslanders out there.

I have a potential chance of a job offer with sponsorship as a nurse in Hervey Bay. However, our ideal location was Sunshine/Gold Coast.

We have done a lot of research into many areas but never particularly warmed to Hervey Bay as it seemed so isolated??

Also we would be renting for the first few years and looking on the real estate website there doesn't seem much on offer to suit us.

We would be relocating with our two children aged 6 and 1 and so want to try and make sure we get the move right first time!

Any advice would be great!

Thanks Emmax

It is isolated and in a bit of an economic crisis at present.

However, its an "in" for you and you would be able to transfer down the Coast as soon as you got permanent residency.

There are loads of jobs in Brisbane / Redcliffe / North Brisbane and that would be better for you.

Nambour Hospital is where I would look first for the Sunshine Coast followed by Caloundra.

Hmmm thats not sold it too well! Lol!

we have thought that at the end of the day it's our entrance into OZ and we should take it as that! However, don't really want to move around too much as its very disruptive for the children. So very unsure.

Also I have been in talks with both Nambour and Caloundra hospital but they aren't recruiting at present, and been informed by Queensland Health that most of the hospitals in those areas aren't allowed to sponsor overseas now.....

Decisons decisions......

Guest Guest31881

Hervey Bay is not quiet or isolated at all. you are within driving distance of the sunshine coast, 4 hours maximum drive to Brisbane. It has all the major shops and excellent facilities. We have a lot of members who live in Hervey Bay and love the area.. Hervey bay is on the Main coast line for the Tilt Train and you can go by train north to Cairns or south to Brisbane from Maryborough ( Home of Mary Poppins) or Howard. Further north you have Burrum heads and that is quiet with a population of around 800 but popular days out.

Hervey bay is the home of the Whale watching tourism industry in the area.

before you write it off, take a look at what it has to offer, there are a lot of members here with families who would not live anywhere else.

I agree with all of the above. I'm sure its a stunningly beautiful place so use it to get in whilst your kids are still young and plan to move somewhere more central once you have your PR. You never know it may just be exactly what your looking for ???

Nurses are in high demand in most places so you should be ok.

Good luck with it all :-)

Guest AKA63029

Hi Emma.

On a very personal note, give me Hervey Bay any day over the Gold Coast. Not knocking the GC, but at times for us it could be a bit too much in your face if you know what I mean. Hervey Bay admittedly is a lot smaller, but still a thriving bustling town that holds many attractions in my view.

The peeps are friendly, all facilities are there and if you want to you can get away from it all in no time.

As I said this is a very personal opinion, but I loved Hervey Bay when I was there and would not hesitate to make a home there.

Cheers Tony.

Hervey Bay is fab, its actually bigger than youd imagine and has everything you need there, in a way its like 'the old' Gold Coast before population took over. I think it would be great if youve got work there as thats what stops some moving up that way.

Cal x

Thanks guys for all the advice, I have done a lot of research on here and elsewhere and I do believe it as a brilliant place to settle with a young family. It's just a bit scary when you look on a map and you see how far away from anything else it is. We are just a bit worried that if you wanted to escape for a day there isn't really anywhere to go. I suppose a 3 hour drive over there is a short distance really but to us in England it seems a big old road trip! Lol! We have back packed through the east coast up to Cairns too but unfortunately the only thing I remembered about HB was that it was the gateway to Fraser Island.

• 1 year later...

Archived