Length of time in customs?

Slean Wolfhead

Our part container was packed on 28/11 by Pickfords with the normal 8-14 week estimate, and the promise that it would be going on the next boat, or if not...they would ship it alone as a part container on the following boat in December.

We found out yesterday that the darn thing is still sitting in London and won't be shipped until 7/1 with an "estimated" arrival date in Sydney of 19/2...well after we've left temporary accommodation and needed to move into a permanent home.

So annoyed because we left our UK home early to make sure the furniture went in time and it's been sitting in a warehouse for 6 weeks while we've been incurring extra costs....and we might now need to extend expensive temp accomodation in Oz.

How long does the Oz end normally take, from the ship docking until the container is released from customs?

I'd guess it all depends on the time of year, how much they have on etc. but experience was as follows:

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Activity[/TD]

[TD=width: 100, align: center]

Date

[/TD]

[TD=width: 100, align: center]

Status

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Arrival at Port / Airport[/TD]

[TD]

12 Sep 11

[/TD]

[TD]

Completed

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Arrival at Wridgways Warehouse[/TD]

[TD]

19 Sep 11

[/TD]

[TD]

Completed

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Quarantine Examination[/TD]

[TD]

21 Sep 11

[/TD]

[TD]

Completed

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Customs Clearance[/TD]

[TD]

21 Sep 11

[/TD]

[TD]

Completed

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Delivery to Residence[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]

Forecast

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So as you can see it was all done very quickly once it had arrived in fact we secured our long term rental on the 26th and the container was delivered and unpacked the day we moved in 01Oct.

I feel your pain....that's disgraceful that it has sat there for 6 weeks. It (wasting time sitting around in the UK) is the main point I was extremely insistent on with our shipment, as it stuffs the whole thing up. We also left our house in the UK a month before travel and I would have been furious if this whole month had been wasted with the goods sitting about when we could have been using them

Unfortunately you are where you are now. Shipping agents will give you a bunch of cr*p about the process at the Australian end as well. I did a lot of digging and what I discovered was that it works like this:

1. Ship docks. Containers are unloaded by the port and the port has to check it has unloaded the containers it has supposed to, and not ones it shouldn't have, before they will release the ship to travel on to next destination, and release the containers to your Aus agents. This takes 2 or 3 days

2. Once the container has been released to your agents, they can both pick it up, and start the customs clearance process. They arrange transport, pick up the container, take it to their bonded warehouse and unpack it so the empty container can be sent back to the port. This takes them a few days, anything from 2-7 because it depends on the availability of their transport, congestion at the port (they have to book pick up times), and the availability of resources at their warehouse to unpack

3. Only then can they notify AQIS for the quarantine check of your goods that have been removed from the container. The AQIS check can take anything from 1-7 days depending on availability of AQIS personnel, how officious they are being, whether or not they find anything in the high risk boxes that will be the first ones they open, and so on. *Usually* it is done within 1-2 days, ie AQIS are not the main blocker despite popular belief

4. Once that is done, your agents are free to deliver the goods to you - again how quickly they can do this depends on how busy they are and how many resources they have available

The whole process *ought* to take about 2 weeks. It can be less (but highly unlikely to be less than a week), it can be more. The agents will tell you all the variability is down to customs and AQIS, but this isn't really the case - much more of it is down to how efficient your agents are and how busy the port is

There is a caveat on that - this was the process at Sydney, I don't know how it works for inland places like Canberra - I don't know whether or not your agents have bonded warehouses in Canberra or if all of that is handled in Sydney or wherever the port of arrival is. I suspect the latter. It shouldn't make much difference to timescales, it's just an extra day on a truck

Our container landed on 22 December, Pickfords advised us it was scheduled for inspection by customs yesterday Wednesday 4th January, and once the clearance report was received we they would arrange delivey. This is for the Port of Melbourne.

We were lucky our container left our house on the Wednesday and was on the ship on the Saturday.

Good luck to you, and fingers crossed for our speedy delivery!!!!

There is definitely a difference in full and part containers, and to be honest we were warned of this by John Masons when we were deciding what to do, as when you have a part you are obviously reliant on others all being ready at the same time etc.

Yeah, I think i read it on here so specifically brought it into the quote. If it couldn't fit on the 1st ship, it would go on the next whatever the state because they wanted to "maintain their reputation".

Not fussed anyway....living out of a suitcase in Thailand for the next month...it could be worse !

We had a whole container, but i'd expect quarantine etc to be about the same timeframe.

Our boat arrived in Melbourne on a Saturday night, and was delivered to us 10 days later (ended up being 9 weeks door to door). It had cleared quarantine easily within 1 week - and we had wooden furniture and guitars, camping gear and fishing stuff for them to look at !! There were quarantine inspection stickers on a few boxes, but the main delay was scheduling the delivery with Grace (in the end we had our stuff delivered the day after our lease started!!)

I have an update, our stuff arrived on 22 December and is being delivered next Tuesday, given Xmas and New Year not bad at all!

I am VERY excited...

Sarah

Archived