Hmmmm Darwin should I go to uni there?

etjenkins

Hi everyone,

I am looking at going to uni at the Charles Darwin University and it looks really nice and it is cheap compared to our outrageous prices in England. I've been there on holiday and thought it was a nice place but this was during the dry season so the weather was nice and I liked it being hot without the humidity. My main worry is the humidity how bad is it and do you get used to it? I would be back in England over the Christmas holidays from the end of November until end of January so I think I would miss the worst of it. Also not being able to swim in the sea is putting me off as I love swimming so how accessible are any of the waterfalls around Darwin as they would make up for not being able to go in the sea (my display pic is at Twin Falls, Kakadu)

Any opinions on Darwin would be nice too as it will be the biggest decision of my life leaving all my family behind at the age of 18, scary stuff but also I am extremely excited too :D

Thank you,

Elliot

Guest SupportPants

Do you have a PR visa? As an international student you're looking at about $50k (about 30k quid) for a 3 year undergraduate degree just in course fees.

It's very humid in Darwin but there are some good 50 metre pools to cool down in. Waterfalls etc are all quite a drive away.

Do you have a PR visa? As an international student you're looking at about $50k (about 30k quid) for a 3 year undergraduate degree just in course fees.

It's very humid in Darwin but there are some good 50 metre pools to cool down in. Waterfalls etc are all quite a drive away.

Unfortunately I don't have PR so yeah it's about that much, however with scholarships with 50% off tuition fees assuming I do well in my exams then it brings the cost down. The cost in the UK is £9k a year so £27k altogether, so for £3k more I would rather spend that and have a better time and experience Australia.

Hmmm I'm not too good with very humid and in the UK when it's humid I often get nosebleeds so maybe I will avoid Darwin and go elsewhere, but thanks for your help anyway.

Guest SupportPants
Unfortunately I don't have PR so yeah it's about that much, however with scholarships with 50% off tuition fees assuming I do well in my exams then it brings the cost down. The cost in the UK is £9k a year so £27k altogether, so for £3k more I would rather spend that and have a better time and experience Australia.

Hmmm I'm not too good with very humid and in the UK when it's humid I often get nosebleeds so maybe I will avoid Darwin and go elsewhere, but thanks for your help anyway.

Perhaps you should also consider the quality of the degree as well. Depending on the subject I'd have thought a degree from a red brick UK university would be held in higher regard with employers in the UK. Also, the cost of living in Australia is much higher than in the UK (although I think you could earn $400 a week if you managed to get the full 20 hours work allowed on a student visa) so factor that in too.

Also, the cost of living in Australia is much higher than in the UK

Having spent a fair amount of time researching the costs for our sponsorship application and having lived here for 6 months I can state with some assurance that Darwin is in the top 5 most expensive places to live in Australia (going out on a limb; possibly even 2nd after Sydney!).

That said Darwin is a wonderful place to live, the weather including heat/humidity can be gotten used to fairly easily (who needs must etc.) although the cyclones are yet to show themselves.

Just remember the costs of visits home too, they'll only add to the expense.

Hope that helps.

4lan

So basically for the same cost you could study in the UK and have the option to travel anywhere in the world for your summer holidays, versus studying in Australia, and going to the UK winter for your holidays where all your friends will be busy with uni work.

Personally I would make Australia one of your holidays, and/or do a gap year before starting uni.

Archived