Quick q re: best time for you to fly to Tassie

KazzKing

Hi all,

Happy New Year!

Quick question - when you were making the move to Tas, which top things did you consider to determine your arrival month, i.e. Apr, May, June etc?

I'm guessing things like Visa validation date (where applicable), flight prices in certain months, weather, job to start, schools starting...

I'm trying to narrow down when would be a good time of the year to aim for (if Visa is to be validated by End Oct 2012).

If you could let me know which month you moved and why that particular month, it would be very useful.

Any comments much appreciated.

Ta v much

K :smile:

Hiya Kazz

We moved in June, purely because that was as soon as we were able to get out of there,lol. We were going to go in August as I thought that this was the time that we would have saved enough money to have in the emergency fund if things didn't work out straight away. But when it came down to it we just couldn't wait.

As it turned out arrivng in June was one of our better ideas, as the rental was lower ( being winter ), along with flight prices, and also because we got to experience the 'worst' winter weather Tas has got to offer.

So every month that we've been here the weather and our opinion of Tasmania has got better.

Chris xx

We arrived right at the start of November - the thinking being that we would be heading into summer and that would help us "settle in". We didn't want to start our new lives heading into winter - plus this way we get to experience two summers in a row (as opposed to two winters). Although, of course one was the Cornish "summer" ;)

That said, I wouldn't arrive in December or Jan as lots of people are on holday then so things like finding work are harder than they would otherwise be. Also the summer heat won't come as so much of a shock, you can build up to it.

I suppose ultimately we wanted to see Tassie in Summer immediately so it would help to dispell any thoughts like "have we done the right thing" that I think would be easier to have in winter than in summer if that makes sense.

Good luck whichever you choose!

Archived