First Christmas in Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

We had a pretty chilled day. My boyfriends family came over. I prepared all the food in advance so managed to relax and enjoy myself way more than I expected. I did really miss family, but we skyped Christmas Eve which was great and everyone met our puppy for the first time.

I don't suppose that Christmas will ever be the same in Australia - but I have high hopes after this year that it *can* be enjoyable - and I am going to be starting some of my own traditions to make it my own.

Been here 8 weeks now living in the hills area still waiting on our furniture to arrive but had a fantastic first christmas let the kids decide what they wanted to do and they opted for a pj day so that's what we did skyped family morning and night. I can't wait for next Christmas as I know that will be better still x

We had our Christmas Breakfast round our house done on the BBQ, had 12 people round for that! Finally found some decent bacon too at the butchers which went down well (not least because we've now found some good bacon!). Went properly crispy on the barbie too! Accompanied by toasted sour dough, spinach, mushrooms, sausages, fried eggs and hash browns, and of course HP brown sauce and some bucksfizz!

Then went round to a friends house (16 of us there) where I prepared the roast turkey (thanks Jamie!), other people brought potato bakes and salads so it wasn't too heavy. Then had a fantastic chocolate pavlova made by our hostess, many of went back for seconds or thirds! Followed by an awesome game of monopoly (the special Byrne Cut edition featuring drill rigs, mine trucks and headframes - highly appropriate given our location).

We were kept pretty busy, just had an hour to make phonecalls etc back home. I think it was good to be with lots of people and busy so didn't feel homesick. Well, only for 5 minutes when a fellow Cornishman said he'd still rather be back in Cornwall (kind of echoed with most of us there I think). We realised later not a single Australian was round the dinner table: 9 English, 2 welsh, 1 Armenian and 2 Swedes. One turned up later but only because he's going out with our English friend Julia!

Then on boxing day we showed our friends from Perth around town, then went up to the Broad Arrow for 'Broady Burgers' then round another friends house to use their pool. Then yesterday most of the guests went back to Perth and I had a lazy day on the sofa, although that was forced as all the shops are closed in this damn town!

Archived