Conflicting views on Melbourne Suburbs

Guest Nelson

Guest Nelson

I've done stacks of research into the suburbs and decided that Point Cook is where we want to head then, yesterday, I had lunch with a friend who used to live in Melbourne and said I would regret it and that I needed to be on the east side of the bay (Glen Waverley, Box Hill, Caulfield). By complete coincidence, I had an email this morning from an Uncle who lives in Brisbane who said exactly the same thing. He said the west side is bland, industrial, boring and 'like living in Woop Woop'. There also seems to be a snobbish thing about living in the east and looking down on those in the west. Any comments would be really appreciated.. thanks! :roll:

Guest Missiemo

I would like an answer to this one as well, we were considering Point Cook, now not so sure, hurry please we leave in four weeks

Guest stephanielouise981

Hi,

I have spent a month in point cook this year as my Mum lives there. The west used to be looked at like that, but things are changing. You get a lot for your money. You are 10 minutes from a very quiet beach. You are 1/2 and hour from the city. 10 minutes from Williamstown. Point cook is set to become the toorak of the west. Sanctuary lakes is a beautiful place to have a coffee or a picnic, and it's right next to point cook. you have Werribee mansion, a wildlife park and the rose gardens a short drive away. You also have decent shopping at Werribee plaza and great 'housey' shopping at hearby hoppers crossing.

I'm not saying that the east side isn't nice but I certainly wouldn't discount point cook - it's very nice.

I'm definitely moving there

Steph x

Guest stuckinblighty

Its not just me then.The more i look the more confused i get :?

regards,Lee

Guest ABCDiamond

regards,Lee

The thing is that everyone is different, and likes different things. Therefore there will be many conflicting opinions.

Heck.. I even know someone who prefers Melbourne to Brisbane !! :D:D

Guest stephanielouise981

Hi,

it was an easy choice for me - my Mum already lives there and I liked the place and it's location... no brainer really!

We'll have to all meet for a coffee once we're over there.

I can't wait to be there now, it's driving me nuts.

Steph xxx

Guest IrishPost

Just as ABCDiamond says, "The thing is that everyone is different, and likes different things. Therefore there will be many conflicting opinions."

Housing wise you will get a lot more for your money at Point Cook.

It was only a few years ago that Point Cook was grazing land and it is therefore a completely new major development and all you can see at the moment is roofs and fences with very little trees but that will change with time.

The suburbs of Glen Waverley, Box Hill, Caulfield are well established suburbs on the eastern part of Metropolitan Melbourne and are therefore much more expensive re house purchase.

Guest PlatOz

regards,Lee

The thing is that everyone is different, and likes different things. Therefore there will be many conflicting opinions.

Heck.. I even know someone who prefers Melbourne to Brisbane !! :D:D

I know what you mean, I even know someone that prefers Perth to Brisbane. :roll: OMG what is that all about, lol, just joking Perthie people. :D

Guest Teliko21
By complete coincidence, I had an email this morning from an Uncle who lives in Brisbane who said exactly the same thing. He said the west side is bland, industrial, boring and 'like living in Woop Woop'.

Obviously someone who has never been here in their life :D I live in the west (Newport) and can honestly say that statement is the biggest pile of s**t I have ever heard :D

Guest stuckinblighty
By complete coincidence, I had an email this morning from an Uncle who lives in Brisbane who said exactly the same thing. He said the west side is bland, industrial, boring and 'like living in Woop Woop'.

Obviously someone who has never been here in their life :D I live in the west (Newport) and can honestly say that statement is the biggest pile of s**t I have ever heard :D

you dont agree then :wink:

regards Lee

Guest Teliko21
you dont agree then :wink:

I agree that some western suburbs are quite industrial but that is it :D

• 2 years later...
Guest The.Colebecks

Hi

Ressurecting this old post to see whether the OP and others who posted on here have made the move out to Melbourne now and where they decided to settle in the end?

We are researching Melbourne and I was advised that Geelong seemed to suit all our 'wants' but then a friend who lives in Bayside (Sandringham) said 'Oh no, its too industrial over there, you must look East' - now I'm confused and back to square one!! :confused:

All opinions good & bad (PM me if you don't want to post negatives in the open!!) about where you are living now would be very welcome.

Kind regards

Karen

Guest lolajays

Well im off to melbourne in May to check it out we will go East and West as I like the look of Geelong and Point Cook! I will hunt this post down and post my views then!

There is definitely an east west thing and a south of the Yarra thing in Melbourne however with the new estates that have opened up in the west things are changing.

There will always be those of us who would not live in the west as there are those people who would not live in the south or east. We are all different.

Its very flat land and I like a bit of undulation so it would not suit me. Also I would not like to have to go over the Westgate Bridge all the time as I hate that bridge as I lived here when they were building it and it fell down and I know its stupid but I just do not like going on it at all.

It depends where you work too if you work in the city its easier to get to work from the west as the bay is huge and the suburbs go way out to the south and east. However if you worked in Clayton or Dandenong then you would not want to be living in the west. Its miles and miles away.

If you rent first you can find out where you would like to live often its somewhere quite different to what you had in mind as we all need different things.

Good luck

Hiya

We're moving to Point Cook in 7 weeks, we felt staying in the west of the city would be much easier for commuting to either the city for work and Geelong for weekends away!

Anyone who wants to meet up, let me know as we don't know anyone in Point Cook and my OH will be at work and i'll be staying at home with the kids.

Valerie

Hey there,

we live in Point Cook and love it! There are definately some major misconceptions about the West. My OH is Ozzy and from Melbs. When we said that we were moving to PC his family were saying that it was miles away :arghh:. Then when they came to visit they said " oh it's really close to the city, didn't take us long at all!" LOL

My OH works in the CBD and it takes him 20 mins on the train to get to work. As opposed to 40 mins from Glen Wavely.

It's definately down to choice. We like the "newness" of PC. The houses, location etc. After 10 years in London I couldn't stand living in/near to town in an old house with busy roads. PC is more of a family suburb- not for 20 something party animals.

The Penninsula on the East is lovely, but it comes at the cost of a long commute into town.

Look for yourself and make your own decisions!

Happy hunting!

Archived