UK Microchip - registering in Aus?

nicolaj

Hi, stupid question I am sure, but here goes!

Our three girls came out of quarantine yesterday, and are now in the cattery. I was going through their paperwork and it occurred to me that I will need to register their new address. In the UK their details are with Petlog, but I assume that changing their address on this database will not help if they go walkabout in Sydney as the authorities wont have access to this database.

I assume therefore, that there is an equivalent out here? If so, how do I go about registering my cats with them?

Also I have heard something about registering your pets with the local council? Is this correct?

Thank you!

Tis is how it works in Sydney. Once you settle in a house, go to your local council with cat's papers and you can register there and then. Each council is a bit different, we are under Parramatta which is different to other areas. You will have to fill in a few forms, show the documents with the microchip numbers on and provide evidence of their desexing ops if they are desexed. This is important as there is a different fee if cats are not desexed and it is more expensive. Basically the cats get registered with NSW and with the local council, so if heaven forbid they do go walkabout they should contact you. Don't do as I did and relied on the council website, I was only sent out half the forms and then got a nasty letter saying I would pay a fine if I didn't fill out the other forms..... Gotta love bureaucracy! So, just go down in person and it will be much easier.

Get it written into their pet passports or vaccination booklets. I think the vet can provide a certificate, but am pretty sure they will charge... Mine was all in Italian! We had fun at the council googling the Italian term for "had his bits chopped off" it was a Monty Python moment... :laugh:

Archived