Sydney NYE ideas / meet-up?

I'll be staying well away from the harbour and city on NYE but if I did want to watch the fireworks then Shark Island sounds OK and it still has tickets for sale, albeit $175 each, and it is NOT alcohol free! Bradleys Head is $20 but no alcohol. Christianson Park at Vaucluse is free but I think that may be alcohol free too.

Shark Island

Capacity: 780

Entry: Ticketed event - $175 per adult / $115 per child (5-15 years). Children under 5 free of charge

Toilets: Yes

Alcohol: BYO. None for sale at this site

Food and Beverage: BYO. None for sale at this site

Restrictions: No glass. No camping. No fires. No BBQ’s. No fireworks or naked flames. No pets.

Bring: Torch, blanket, warm/wet weather gear. Due to restricted vessel capacity limits apply as to what can be taken to the island. Hand luggageonly. No chairs, shelters or large/wheelie bin eskies permitted. All luggage must be able to fit on your lap for transfer to the island.

Access: Ticket price includes return transport from Rose ay Wharf. Ferries depart at 6.30 and 7.15pm.

Parking: No Use public transport to Rose Bay.

Bookings: Fom 9.30am Monday 28 November 2011

How to Book: Tickets for the 6.30pm ferry can be booked here. Tickets for the 7.15pm ferry can be booked here. (Mastercard and Visa only)

Via phone : (02) 9253 0888

Or in person at The NPWS Metropolitan Branch Information Centre at Cadmans Cottage, 110 George Street, Sydney.

Have you seen this?

Might help.

http://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/vantage-points/vantage-point-list

Ironically we are stuck in the centre of Sydney for NYE! Have no means of escape so searching for somehwere that we can walk to so we can see the fireworks, but like you don't want to spend $$$ on a venue, nor be stuck somewhere for hours and hours!

Last year I was at a function in Northbridge at Sailors Bay Golf Club - 'singles night!' At midnight we all went out to look over the harbour, maybe not as good as being right there but considerably less crowded. I can't stand being packed into huge crowds and on NYE it's like trying to leave a big football match all night and just for 20 mins of 'action.' I don't even like NYE but if I had to go, I'd pay the money and find a hotel with a great view or do a harbour cruise. Why not, if it's just a once in a lifetime opportunity. But I'd rather just find a decent night out in a club/pub/restaurant well away from the city.

I think I'd find the alcohol ban a real drag if I was young free and single, and go elsewhere or pay up, as per the above. I went to the Kirribilli Club the other week and that's a great view, James Squires on tap too. I think tickets are $200+ mind. And you'd not want to be on your own

As it is we have a friend with a 10th floor flat with a balcony on McMahon's Point, so I know where we'll be. No booze ban and no entry fee, works for me ;-)

We'll only be there to 9pm for the kids' early fireworks, though, and then head home. Trying to stay up past midnight with an overtired 4 year old doesn't bear thinking about (nor does the aftermath for the next day or two......)

Archived