kingston or barton

woodsy16

Hi all

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of these two areas? We are looking at temporary accommodation in either and was wondering if one place was preferable over the other? Also if the commute to Canberra hospital is better from one then the other?

Thanks in advance

Kate

Guest cat woman

Kingston and Barton are probably the same distance to The Canberra Hospital, to find rental properties look on allhomes.com.au as all the properties get advertised on here.... good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Guest journeydownunder

Both areas are really nice. We went for Kingston because there is more of a residential feel in my view. More restaurants and quite a village feel. The restaurants are really good and there are a couple of decent bars, the Durham is a bit more "pub" like - could do with a bit of a refurb but its friendly, cheap and the food is good pub grub. The Kennedy Room is a bit more "trendy" but again they are pretty friendly and the food is usually good. Then there is the Belgian bar too, which always looks busy. Barton is really nice but to me feels a bit soulless. Lots of office buildings and no real "centre" to speak of - at least not that we've found. You have the Realm hotel/ apartments with the bars and restaurants underneath but they are a little pretentious. Good for the odd drink after work but not really a "local" pub/bar. Anyway hope that helps.

Also on a side note Allhomes.com.au does have all the properties listed on it as two of the biggest agents only put their properties on that site. In my view it is best to use allhomes once you have worked out where it is you want to live. The functionality is basic and for me wasn't helpful in helping us decide which suburb to live in. Fine if you are a local and know the area. If you have an ipad download the domain.com.au app which is based around a map functionality. Really useful if you're not exactly sure the name of the suburb but want to look within a certain lifestyle i.e. by the lake or within a certain radius of work. Domain will give you enough of an idea about the types of properties you can get and the prices and help you narrow it down. Then once you know you can look on allhomes to make sure you are seeing the full marketplace.

Good luck!

Archived