On a 457, Where next ?

Dunwa

My family and I arrived on our 457 at end of August and are settling in well in the Sydney area. With what looks like the disappearance of LAFHA next year we’re looking at options and one of these is to get PR as quick as possible.

Can anyone offer up advice on what routes are open for a 457 holder to go to PR and what are the conditions, how long will it take ? With 2 kids in education we’re going to end up seriously disadvantaged with the loss of LAFHA.

Geoffrey, there have been several threads recently about LAFHA being removed from temp residents. The only people who'll still be entitled are people who are resident in Australia and have to maintain secondary accommodation, e.g. FIFO. It's still in the discussion stages I think, but set to come in some time next year.

My family and I arrived on our 457 at end of August and are settling in well in the Sydney area. With what looks like the disappearance of LAFHA next year we’re looking at options and one of these is to get PR as quick as possible.

Can anyone offer up advice on what routes are open for a 457 holder to go to PR and what are the conditions, how long will it take ? With 2 kids in education we’re going to end up seriously disadvantaged with the loss of LAFHA.

Hi Mate,

Have a look at this, this is the booklet explaining the 856 visa scheme, this is the route I'm going down, it depends on your employer agreeing to sponsor you for PR, so it's not an automatic entitlement.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1131.pdf

Good luck with your migration!

I must admit I'm toying with coughing up the money for skills assessment myself with a view to applying for a 176SS visa

Will give it a few more months to see how the job pans out first. No point in going to that trouble if I can only see myself being here for a couple of years

Archived