Failed Vetassess :(

Guest Lucy Furness

Guest Lucy Furness

We are absolutely gutted. My husband did the Vetassess practical (Electricians) in October. We waited 6 weeks for the results which was the most awful wait, only to check online one morning to find he'd FAILED.

He passed on all the practical parts, including the parts that everyone had said were a nightmare, but failed on the Health and Safety part because of not documenting it fully. He actually asked the assessor if he was doing it right just covering the H&S of the work he had just done and was told yes he's doing it right. It turns out he wasn't and he failed. Basically because he'd failed to document it on the first bit, the rest was going to be a fail no matter what.

This is such a low point for us. He has now re-booked at great expense to re-sit the test in the other side of the country. Well, there goes Christmas then!

I'm really losing hope now. :(

The person who had previously offered him a sponsorship is now not returning our calls/emails and it just seems we've wasted thousands of pounds and over a year to have still not got anywhere near an answer. Sigh.

I really need some glimmer of hope right now. Time is ticking. He turns 40 in April and we desperately need the points for state sponsorship now :(

Ok, done. Perhaps I'll feel better now I've written it all down?

Thanks for reading, if you have! :cry:

How disappointing for you. Can you appeal it as he was given the wrong information? It is videotaped?

Is there any option to go on a sponsorship visa? The 457 and then do everything for the 176 when you are there? Then he will get the points for the Australian work experience?

Guest Lucy Furness

Hi Alaska!

We've gone ahead and paid for the re-sit now :(

I didn't think you could do the 457 then apply for 176?

The trouble is he was offered a sponsorship in NSW, but we were going for SS in South Australia, so the two kind of clash. I wonder if he'd still have to work for the sponsor for 2 years before going for SS?

Interesting thought..

I need to wipe my tears and get back on the case! Tut!

Thanks for your reply

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

As far as I understand it you can go on a 457 and apply for the 175/176 straight away if you are eligible. I think you just have to leave the country for a few days whilst it is granted.

It's the best of both worlds if the employer pays your relocation and then you get your PR before too long.

I think as regards working for the employer for 2 years, it would depend on your contract. The people DH are talking to have said there will be a financial penalty if he left before the 2 years - I think paying back the relocation expenses.

Good luck!

ETA: There are also options to go on the 457 and apply for the 121/856 (can't remember which is onshore) if he would pass the skills assessment. It's all still linked to the employer. Worth checking out.

• 9 months later...

Hi, can you tell me the outcome of this thread please?

I've got an unsuccessful assessment result (not great under pressure). Did your husband have to re sit the whole thing or just re sit the part he failed? Also did you have to pay the full amount again? I did the assessment at Blackburn.

Any help is greatly appreciated