Moving Car

Alan H

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

We have a long standing thread about moving cars to Australia ...

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know.html

That should help. You have to have owned the car and used it for 12 months prior to moving over here. take a look at the thread and it should answer your questions, or post on that thread and see what answer you get.

I have moved your post to the transport section, may get better answers here.

Hi,

You have to have owned the car and used it for 12 months prior to moving over here.

Also, you have to bring it over when you make the move. You cant leave it behind until the 12 months are up, then ship it. If you havent applied for a visa yet, then you will probably not be moving for at least 12-18 months amyway.

General consensus with cars is not to bother unless it is either rare or of sentimental value.

Even with the high prices here in Oz and low resale values in the UK, its not much (if any) saving once you have shipped a car. (shipping costs, compliance issues, re-registering, grey imports have a lower resale value, higher insurance costs for grey imports, heaps of paperwork etc etc)

Agreed, it is a ball ache to bring a car out, we thought about it with my Mini Cooper, but I had only had it for 6 months, so would not be able to import it. Took it on a couple of months before Hubby got offered the transfer out to Sydney!

Still not a happy bunny about having to hand it back!

But, the costs are so high and there are just sooo many hoops to jump through it really wasn't worth it.:sad:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived