Tourist Visas for British Subjects NOT Citizens

Guest chipsandcurry

Guest chipsandcurry

Hi all,

My dad has just booked to come out to visit us in Adelaide next week through a travel agent in the UK. I don't know the full story but when it came to applying for his tourist visa online, they could not complete it because on his passport my dad is listed as being a British Subject and not a British Citizen (he was born in Ireland). He is going back to visit the agent today to see if they can help him further with this, although a visit to the Consulate in London may be in order. My question is has anyone on here had a similar issue and was it a problem in obtaining a visa?

The brief research that i have done indicates that there are two types of tourist visa; a subclass 671 which is the ETA that most people will get and then there is a subclass 676 which is a more comprehensive application.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Rich.

Guest chipsandcurry

Just a quick update on this. We have checked with the Australian Consulate in London and despite being listed as a British Subject on a British Passport, my dad will need to fill out the paper application for a subclass 676 visa, providing evidence of savings, health insurance, a letter of invitation from us along with a cover letter. This could take up to 6 weeks to process given the time of year.

I'm going to try ringing Canberra today although don't think it will do much good!

Guest GeorgeD
Hi all,

My dad has just booked to come out to visit us in Adelaide next week through a travel agent in the UK. I don't know the full story but when it came to applying for his tourist visa online, they could not complete it because on his passport my dad is listed as being a British Subject and not a British Citizen (he was born in Ireland

Can he get an Irish passport in a hurry and travel on that instead?

Guest Guest31881
if you go on the the visa site and look for a Toursite evisa. you do the whole thing on line and its free. We had to do them last year when we visited my brother in Sydney and we have Irish passports

As far as I know that only works if you are a British Citizen, A British subject would normally have to fill in a paper application, i think its because they were normally born in another country,

Guest chipsandcurry

Hi George,

Great minds think alike eh?! ;-) I've just looked into it and it's probably the easiest option for him. The cost of an irish passport is the same as the visa application would be and he can pick up the forms and lodge his application at the Irish Passport office in London. They aim for a 10 working day turnaround (which is also quicker than the visa application) and could speed it up if proof of travel is supplied.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Archived