options for visa's working in childcare??

Guest Tori11

Hi Everyone! I'm new to poms in oz and thought I would give this a shot to see what advice I can get! So, I am currently in Brisbane on a international student visa and have just completed the Certificate III in children's services. I would really like to work and live in Australia and really do not know what route to take next?! Does anyone know whether if I go onto doing the Diploma of children's services will I be any more eligible to get a permanent visa?? If I go through the skilled migrant option do you need higher qualifications such as bachelor degrees rather than Diplomas?? My partner is also over with me and is also from the UK and he is currently the de-facto partner on my student visa which expires in March. I'm really worrying as Ive kinda been putting things off ignoring the fact my visa expires and I will have to go home! I'm running out of time :unsure:

If anyone has advice please help me........

Thankyou!!! :cute:

Guest IrishMiss

Hi Tori you have no idea how glad I am I found this page.lol

I'm planning to come to Brisbane/ Gold Coast and study Cert 3 and Diploma in child services also and I would LOVE to hear what you have to say about it and maybe a PM to tell me where you studied as I'm still trying to make my mind up.

As for the visas I've been doing a lot of research and this is what I've found.

Currently Early childhood educator is on the SOL and ENSOL. Pass mark is 65 and you gain marks for age, english language ability, work experience and study in australia. You can only gain the 10 points for study in oz if you have completed 2 years of full time study so I'm guessing that as you have done only cert 3 you have only studied for a year? Also i think when you complete studies of 2 years or more you can apply for a graduate visa which allows intl students who studied in oz to work in oz for 18 months to gain work experience...this will also increase your points on the general skilled migration.

Hope this helps.

I am just getting my skills assessed with the TRA as childcare manager- you said you where appling under early years childhood educator can you enlighten me to your job role as the agency said to go for manager one.

If I don't pass my IELTS the dream will end.

hope you don't mind me taking the tread over but was look for other early years work when I came across yours

• 5 months later...

Hi! you might be able to get a 457 visa. However they will want your skills assessed by AITLS. Do you have any other degree other than a diploma in childcare? Also you need to have at least 45 days of student teaching experience. Hope this helps. I am a teacher going to teach preschool on a 457 visa.

Edited by apickerell

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Melkaedw

Hi hmay and apickerell. I will be completing my diploma in childrens services in dec of this year.

What are my visa options to stay and work in Australia?which occupation on the SOL should i choose to nominate as my occupation?

My current employer says she is willing to sponsor me But what position from the SOL list should she choose to nominate me?to be nominated as an early childhood educator?would that mean i have to have a degree? Which certifying body would need to assess my skills? Really appreciate your feedback on this matter! Thanks!