in the good old days

Guest stuckinblighty

Guest stuckinblighty

before the internet how the hell did they manage to move to the other side of the world ?? I mean, i'm on the computer all day looking at info about Aus and i'm still non the wiser :?

Just a thought

regards,Lee

theres only one answer to that ,,they had bigger balls !!! dont honestly know if i could move over there without having all the info and knowledge ive found on line ,guess we are weaklings compared to our great great ancestors,,,

Cal x

Guest ABCDiamond
before the internet how the hell did they manage to move to the other side of the world ?? I mean, i'm on the computer all day looking at info about Aus and i'm still non the wiser :?

Just a thought

regards,Lee

We just did it blind :D

However, the application process was so much simpler then.

I read some peoples posts about the application, and think myself lucky I didn't have to go through all that. I applied 20 years ago, and can hardly remember the application, but I am sure it was "simple" compared to what you lot have to go through. I do recall the Interview at Australia House, but that was just a formality, I think, just to prove we existed :)

So, you lot generally have it harder in the application, but you do know more of what to expect.

We got here easy, although not as easy as the £10 poms before us :), but all we had was our holiday experiences, which gave us no real idea about the REAL Australia.

BUT.. Coming without expectations, most of us were less likely to feel let down if everything wasn't perfect.

When looking at it like that, i'm not sure which way is best.

Maybe the application process makes you feel like it is a Big and Final step, when in reality it is just a change in location, for as long or as short a time as YOU desire.

For me, it was just another change of location, just as if I moved to Scotland (shiver) or Spain (non comprendez), but with better weather and near enough the same language :D

Guest ABCDiamond
Before the Internet - didn't we just have to steal a sheep or something :?: :)
If we go back that far, a load of bread would have done the trick.

I think I recall one young lad was sent here for stealing a handkerchief. ;)

Guest ABCDiamond

I hadn't realised how popular handkerchiefs were back then...

A few Old Bailey convictions....

John HERBERT

He was tried at Old Bailey, London on 21 April 1784 for stealing silk handkerchief with a value of 1 shilling. He was sentenced to transportation for 7 years and left England on the Scarborough aged about 20 at that time (May 1787)

John HILL

He was tried at Old Bailey, London on 26 May 1784 for stealing linen handkerchief with a value of 1 shilling. He was sentenced to transportation for 7 years and left England on the Scarborough aged about 34 at that time (May 1787)

James HOLLOWAY

He was tried at Old Bailey, London on 20 October 1784 for stealing a silk handkerchief with a value of 3 shillings. He was sentenced to transportation for 7 years and left England on the Scarborough aged about 27 at that time (May 1787)

Guest bethandneil

hi there

Joe Bloggs

tried at local court, 2006 for theft of anything he could get his hands on,

benefit fraud and he asked that numeroud other crimes be taken into account.

Value, nobody knows for sure.

He was sentenced in his absence (as he didnt bother to show up), and recieved 5 hours commnuity service (which he didnt do) and and ASBO (which he ignored).

Thank goodness they dont still deport them to oz, or there would be no point in going!

Leave them all in Britain, whilst the rest of us law abiding workers escape to oz.

enough moaning from me

Beth.

BETH

Come on love, wake up to reality!!we are talking about the UK arent we ? ,the crimes you mention probably wouldnt even have got to court in real life and if they did it was probably a kid commiting them who for punishment recieved a beautiful foreign holiday and a 'good' telling off (not),,,Crime in this country is out of control as there is just no punishment like you said,roll on Oz and lets all leave these not-rights behind .

Cal x

Guest bethandneil

calNgary

you are so right, oh what a fool i am, this is the country where hijackers, actually have the right to stay in the country they hijacked a plane to get to, the countries gone mad :x

Beth

Archived