Do I SELL MY HOUSE FOR LESS THAN IT'S WORTH????

judyq

Hi to all....need to put this one out there as it is driving me mad !! would love any opinion !:chatterbox:We have had our house on the market for six months..have the visa, ready to go...nobody want's it!! I know there are people on here in a similar situation! The thing is we have to enter Oz by May or validate...at the cost of about six grand as there are five of us! Have had an offer today of £132,000 ...it is on for £140,000 but we have dropped it ten grand......

so...do we sell it and go...or validate and wait......

cheers!!

I would accept the offer right now if i were you, your house is only worth £132,000 at this moment in time as you have had plenty enough viewings and that is what your potential buyer is prepared to pay, to actually get an offer at this time of year as well is a bonus as it is traditionally quiet now as nobody wants to move over christmas so i reckon if you turn this offer down you may well be waiting until next spring for another one and then the market may have gone down even further ( it may not either but that is the chance you have to take ), like someone else has said take the money and get the hell out while you have the chance.

I think you should sell but i would never accept the first offer, i would push for them to at least meet you half way between the first offer and your asking price. If they don't budge and are serious about buying you can always say you will accept the first offer.

You should not look back at old offers or think that in the future you will get more, these are what-if's, who knows what the future might hold. It might be several years before you can acheive 140k+ and lets say you did a few years down the line the Australian housing market might have increased beyond what you make?

I think if 132k gives you enough money to pay off debts and make the move then go for it. our house was on the market for more than 2.5 years, we had about 4 viewings, in total, and are just about to sell. we dropped our price from 179 to 169 to then offers over 159 and have sold (hopefully in 2 weeks) for a little less than 159. We are lucky in that it still gives us the money to pay off our debts and allow us to move.

Go for it :wink:

wow thank you so much for such truly helpful replies.....it really puts it all into perspective....we have just had another offer for 129,000 so it is really squeaky bum time!!!!! Feel we may accept the first offer tomorrow as have three viewings booked but feel we cannot lose her as she is our first really serious offer..

I think as so many have said we may have to cut our losses and get out while the going is good...this is so stressful!!!:wacko:

Thanks again, also if we accept and all goes well we can make real plans instead of talking about it like we have for the past fifteen years!!!!

Thanks again, really helpful,:notworthy:

I'd suggest having a chat to your estate agent, and see what he or she advises. There are two interested parties at about the same sort of level, so you might be able to bid the price up a little.

If you're feeling brave then feedback that you're looking for a bit more, and maybe let the second party know that the first has put in a slightly better offer.

Also, take a look at Zoopla (or similar) for recent, comparable sales. If local houses are going for £130,000 then it might be worth taking that.

The thing to bear in mind is not to be fixated on the asking price. My brother put in an a couple of offers on a house two years ago, and the owners wouldn't shift. He didn't think that it was worth what they wanted, and got something nicer instead. It remained on the market until recently, and I'm not sure if it sold or was withdrawn.

I would accept the 132 offer now. We've been in the same boat, except we are already here in Oz. Our's has been on the market since January, lots of viewers but no offers. Moved here in April and have only just accepted an offer 10 months down the line. Originally on the market for 140, few months later we reduced to 130. Killed us in September to agree to reduce to offers over 120. The market is shocking and this is really killin us now but we have just accepted an offer of £110,000.:cry: We managed to get them to increase from 106.

It got to the stage where we just wanted to move on and close everything in the UK. Also I watch a lot of property programmes and at the end of the day, a house is only worth what someone will pay for it. Not what we think its worth. Similar house further in our street sold last year for 98,000 so we did a bit better.

By accepting this offer we can now move on with our wonderful new lives here on the Gold Coast and hopefully soon put an offer in for the house we have seen and fallen in love with. Hopefully it wont have sold before ours finalises.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and your move down under. xx

Guest guest52672

DON'T SELL IT.... We were upset as we could not sell our property in time... we rented it out instead. Now I am so glad we did as I hate it here and knowing I still have my home is the only thing keeping me going. Sell when you are 100% happy here.

• 1 month later...

Hi there it seems a lot of people are struggling to sell theirhomes!! We are in this stressful situation too! Had our house up for sale since July and only had 3 viewings have dropped it 10,000 we have dual estate agents on it and still no news! Wehave tobe in oz by july...dont really want tospend money validating it!! We really want to move in May but its very stressful and scary as we dont know what to do!! We could rent but have a high mortgage so it wouldnt cover the mortgage!! We have recently asked to droptointerest only and they wont let us!!! Dont really want to tell mortgage comp we may rent incase they increasepayments even furthercan anyone advise??? Thanks v much

Hi all, we had a real hard decision when selling our house. We ended up dropping 17k on it!! The sale is going through at the moment. The Market is suppose to get worse. We are staying with fAmily for nearly 3 months before we fly on 22nd April so we are going to save every penny and claw back some money before we go.

Leeanne