How much can fit in a 20ft container?

Guest TheBrowningFamily

Guest TheBrowningFamily

Hi Guys

Have had Crown round for a quote and was really shocked they say we will need a 20ft container, they say it will only be 3/4 full, and have said it will cost £4k + Ins. (they have said if we fill it it will cost extra for packing/unpacking)

I am shocked as before we moved into this house we put our furniture into storage and THE LOT fit into a 20ft container....we are only taking about 1/4 of what went into storage! Briefly will comprise of

1 King size bed, 1 chest drawers, 1 double futon, small dining table (which comes apart) and 4 chairs, 2 adult and 2 kids bikes, computer, washing machine, 28' TV, dvd with stand, some of hubby's tools (small drills) and some kids toys (about 5-6 large boxfuls) handful books, photo albums, pictures, 1 large box kitchen stuff then odds and sods. oh yeah and Christmas decs, tree etc (inc 4ft santa - cheers mum)

So not taking the masses of outdoor toys, kids beds, bedroom furniture 3 pc suite, 20 odd boxes of carp from the attic etc which were in the unit!

Does this sound right? Or are we being done? Have 2 more companies coming in the next 2 days...will be interesting!

Crown relocations have also said we can take our daughter wooden play house from the garden as long as it is flat packed and cleaned...does this sound right? Don't want it destroyed over there if it's wrong as it was a pressie from my mum, was specially comissioned and cost £1k.....hate to see it go up in smoke, would rather donate it to local playgroup!

Guest Working to fish
Hi Guys

Have had Crown round for a quote and was really shocked they say we will need a 20ft container, they say it will only be 3/4 full, and have said it will cost £4k + Ins. (they have said if we fill it it will cost extra for packing/unpacking)

I am shocked as before we moved into this house we put our furniture into storage and THE LOT fit into a 20ft container....we are only taking about 1/4 of what went into storage! Briefly will comprise of

1 King size bed, 1 chest drawers, 1 double futon, small dining table (which comes apart) and 4 chairs, 2 adult and 2 kids bikes, computer, washing machine, 28' TV, dvd with stand, some of hubby's tools (small drills) and some kids toys (about 5-6 large boxfuls) handful books, photo albums, pictures, 1 large box kitchen stuff then odds and sods. oh yeah and Christmas decs, tree etc (inc 4ft santa - cheers mum)

So not taking the masses of outdoor toys, kids beds, bedroom furniture 3 pc suite, 20 odd boxes of carp from the attic etc which were in the unit!

Does this sound right? Or are we being done? Have 2 more companies coming in the next 2 days...will be interesting!

Crown relocations have also said we can take our daughter wooden play house from the garden as long as it is flat packed and cleaned...does this sound right? Don't want it destroyed over there if it's wrong as it was a pressie from my mum, was specially comissioned and cost £1k.....hate to see it go up in smoke, would rather donate it to local playgroup!

we are not far from you and also have crown coming to see us .Will let you know the out come.

eddie

:arghh:

Guest Working to fish
That would be great Eddie, cheers, where you off too? and where you from?

Hi Browningfamily we are from tiverton and hope to be on the sunshine coast as soon as poss ,

jan/feb 08 we hope.

please ,please ,please mr visa man give us our visa.lol:wacko:

eddie

Guest TheBrowningFamily

OMG we are from Thorverton, about 7 miles from you, we are also going to the Sunshine Coast, but in Feb not Jan '08........How wierd!

Maybe we should be looking at sharing a container!!!!

..................Race ya!

Guest kevinboomer

Hiya!

We,ve got a big 3 bedroom house with double garage and all the furniture that goes with it!!! Including table tennis table, 4 bikes, cement mixer, 2 x 4 seater sofas, hubbys carpentry tools, king size bed etc etc advised we would need a 20 foot container by Anglo Pacific and quoted £3,542 overall costs no vat as its out of the country and we have ALOT of stuff (haven't mentioned half of it!!!) They said we could probably share with someone but we would have to leave some big items but customs may be a problem!!!! Hope this helps!!! Advice is you dont want to be involved with other peoples stuff when customs are looking at it!!! Hence lawnmower, kids bikes etc have to be disinfected etc and no pine cones on christmas decs fake or real!! (madness I know but best to keep it all to your self!!) All the best Lisa

Guest TheBrowningFamily
Hiya!

We,ve got a big 3 bedroom house with double garage and all the furniture that goes with it!!! Including table tennis table, 4 bikes, cement mixer, 2 x 4 seater sofas, hubbys carpentry tools, king size bed etc etc advised we would need a 20 foot container by Anglo Pacific and quoted £3,542 overall costs no vat as its out of the country and we have ALOT of stuff (haven't mentioned half of it!!!) They said we could probably share with someone but we would have to leave some big items but customs may be a problem!!!! Hope this helps!!! Advice is you dont want to be involved with other peoples stuff when customs are looking at it!!! Hence lawnmower, kids bikes etc have to be disinfected etc and no pine cones on christmas decs fake or real!! (madness I know but best to keep it all to your self!!) All the best Lisa

My, that sounds loads! Can't believe that they are saying we need a same size container!

Madness! Thanks for that

Guest Working to fish
OMG we are from Thorverton, about 7 miles from you, we are also going to the Sunshine Coast, but in Feb not Jan '08........How wierd!

Maybe we should be looking at sharing a container!!!!

..................Race ya!

Thorverton ,small world ,i have done loads of work in and around Thorverton ,i am a carpenter/joiner with loads of tools to take along with the house stuff . we are moving into rented on saterday and have most of the shipping guys coming to see us over the next couple of weeks ,will pm you and let you know what they say.

eddie

where on the sunshine coast you looking at ?

eddie:jiggy:

Hi Guys

We moved from a big 3 bed house and brought everything with us apart from fridge and washing machine. Some of the things we brought with us included 1 3 seater and 1 2 seater sofas, dining room table and 6 chairs, 3 tvs, 1 double bed, 1 triple bunk bed, chest of draws x3, tumble drier, boxes and boxes of kids toys, kids 2 seater jeep (big), kids quad bike (big), kids go cart (big), oh tools all in big snap on tool boxes, 4 bikes. This is just the main bulky items and believe me there was much much more!! We just over filled a 20ft container so went in a 40 ft but like I say we only just over filled the 20ft!! We used Robinsons and for the 20ft container they quoted 3800 pounds that inc them packing!!

Hope this helps

Deb xx

Guest tracy hunt

I was thinking of us having a container delivered, and we'll do the packing. I thought I'd heard it was half the price. I haven't looked into it yet though.....still at the thinking stage.

We moved in January and brought almost the enitre contents or our 3 bed house, which included dining table, washer, dryer, 2 sofas garden furniture, toys etc., we used John Mason and the cost was about £3,800 which included all the insurance - they didn't charge any thing for unpacking. When our stuff arrived this end, they unpacked all the big stuff and put it back together, then we just rang them to pick up the empty boxes for the other stuff.

Ali

Guest TheBrowningFamily

Pickfords have been today, quoted £3,400 for the same cubic footgae as Crown...seems crown were right in there estimation. Though what Pickfords explained is that it would be a 20ft REEFER (smaller than 20ft inside!) so it is making more sense now.

Pickfords will also store our stuff locally (8 milesaway) for £72 pm, so much easier than Crown (there nearest storage was 100's miles away, so we would have to pack, move our stuff to self store so we can add/remove from it whilst we are living with parents, then crown come and unpack/repack from self storage...very confusing)

Pickfords insurance (3%) would also cover our stuff whilst in storage too.

Have Brittania coming tomorrow so will let you know what they say!

Guest lcys2460

Browning Family - have Crown said they can't put your stuff in storage themselves before shipping? Just been talking to them about it myself and the girl seems to be fobbing me off when looking at storage in UK before shipping? Just wondered if this was standard for them?

Guest maxxangel

Just a thought, but if you aren't sure about taking the play house you could try selling it on eBay. That's what we did (ours was also specially made, but not quite so expensive) and I think we got about £200 for it. I know it's not much compared to the original price, but it is something back that you could maybe treat your daughter with when you've moved.

Guest TheBrowningFamily
Browning Family - have Crown said they can't put your stuff in storage themselves before shipping? Just been talking to them about it myself and the girl seems to be fobbing me off when looking at storage in UK before shipping? Just wondered if this was standard for them?

Hi, They have said they can store it, but not locally. Perhaps they don't like storing? Not sure.

Guest Working to fish
Pickfords have been today, quoted £3,400 for the same cubic footgae as Crown...seems crown were right in there estimation. Though what Pickfords explained is that it would be a 20ft REEFER (smaller than 20ft inside!) so it is making more sense now.

Pickfords will also store our stuff locally (8 milesaway) for £72 pm, so much easier than Crown (there nearest storage was 100's miles away, so we would have to pack, move our stuff to self store so we can add/remove from it whilst we are living with parents, then crown come and unpack/repack from self storage...very confusing)

Pickfords insurance (3%) would also cover our stuff whilst in storage too.

Have Brittania coming tomorrow so will let you know what they say!

Hi Browning family

We also had Pickfords around today, and as we've worked out we're approx 7 miles apart from each other and both looking at a 20ft container. Don't know if we had the same guy as you had from Pickfords but you said he's quoted you £3400 for a 20ft container, and guess what he's quoted us £4057 for a 20ft container!!!! Plus £600-£900 extra for insurance plus $340 dollars to pay on the other side for fumigation which may not necessarily apply but regardless this still has to be paid, which equals a rough total of £5000.

He said that the 20ft container would be more than enough/would have room left over, so we can't really get our heads around the difference in price considering we have about the same amount of stuff.

eddie,tina:goofy::skeptical::no:

Guest Richard & Christine

for all of you whom may be interested in doinging it DIY. i just did a forty foot high cube, which is twice as long as a 20ft and extra high. you have three hours to load.(extra time can be paid for) £2500 from Nottingham to Brisbaine port. Anyone wishing to look at it this way look up national shippers whom have offices in both countries. ie Hardrott.

hope this is usefull for someone.

Richard & Christine

Guest TheBrowningFamily
for all of you whom may be interested in doinging it DIY. i just did a forty foot high cube, which is twice as long as a 20ft and extra high. you have three hours to load.(extra time can be paid for) £2500 from Nottingham to Brisbaine port. Anyone wishing to look at it this way look up national shippers whom have offices in both countries. ie Hardrott.

hope this is usefull for someone.

Richard & Christine

I was lead to believe that you could not ship to Australia DIY due to customs? This would be something I would be totally interested in?

Maybe if you can self ship, we should look at a 40ft cube between us Eddie & Tina? May mean waiting a little longer for it to reach Aus, but worth it to save a couple of grand???

Guest Sheerluck
for all of you whom may be interested in doing it DIY. i just did a forty foot high cube, which is twice as long as a 20ft and extra high. you have three hours to load.(extra time can be paid for) £2500 from Nottingham to Brisbaine port.

That sounds like extremely hard work - loading a 40 foot container in 3 hours is going make you work up a sweat!:swoon:

Just to put my two penn'orth in, we waved goodbye to our 20ft container yesterday, courtesy of Britannia Goodwins. In that container was the entire contents of our 3 bed semi: 128 cartons, 3 seater sofa, 2 seater sofa, 2 dining suites, 3 BIG beds, lounge furniture, various TVs and other electronics.

All for the grand sum of £3096 plus insurance, which was £700 cheaper than the other quotes I'd received, and all professionally wrapped and packed. They took two and a half days, and worked bl**dy hard at it too, highly recommended by me if you're moving out of South Staffs.:notworthy:

Dave

Guest AJTCOURIERS

Hi All,

Can anyone tell us how much for a 40ft container please as we are taking everything from our 4 bed house? Also how much to go into storage with your container in this country before shipping as we hope to move out the house Apr/May 08 and live with family til we go out to WA in Nov 08. Please help!!

Thanks

Cindy and Andy

Archived