Citizenship changes ?

tearose

Can someone please tell me if the rules around the citizenship have changed ?

Someone has recently told me that you have a choice of either sitting an online test or being called in for an interview ?

Has anyone recently applied ?

Thanks in advance,

:hug:

Guest Guest31881

I do not think anything ha changed, When you qualify for citizenship, I believe you attend interview, take the citizenship test. Unless you are under 18 or over 60 in which case you do not need to take the exam.

Here is the link to the citizenship page that explains everything.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/

The site states......

When the department receives your application you will be invited to attend a citizenship appointment. We will send you a letter with your appointment details and further information. It is at your appointment you will take a citizenship test or have an interview, whichever applies.

So it looks like if you are between 18 and 60 you take the test, under 18 or over 60 and you do the interview, It must have changed as I thought you did both.

Can someone please tell me if the rules around the citizenship have changed ?

Someone has recently told me that you have a choice of either sitting an online test or being called in for an interview ?

Has anyone recently applied ?

Thanks in advance,

:hug:

Hi

You can ring up or order online a free revision book and DVD for the citizenship test. Check with them that you are eligible to apply, or on what date you are eligible to apply.

We did ours last week in Brisbane. You can fill out a form online to apply, pay your free $260 each. You will then receive an email telling you what day and time you can sit your test. You will also be asked to bring in various bits of paper work (the usual stuff... everything). When you go for your test you are fisrtly seen by their admin people to who check that you have all the necessary paperwork. Once they are happy with the paperwork you can go into the test room and start the test. You have 45 mins to do the test - it should take you around 10 mins to complete. There are 20 questions you need to get 15 right to pass. The questions have multiple choice answers.

At the back of the revision book there are 20 questions, those same questions are on the practice test online. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that these are the exact same 20 questions that you will be asked on your test.

When you have finished the test it will come up on your computer screen that you have passed. About a week later you will get a letter saying that your application has been accepted and that you will be given a date to attend your citizenship ceromony

Read the book and you will be fine. I just watched the DVD with a hangover and I got through it although in hindsight that was not a very good plan.

Best of luck

The oldgit.

JoeBloggs ............ can you give any info on what sort of things they ask ?

What happens if you dont pass the test ??

In the interview they asked me for my forms of identification

Passport

Utility Bill

Drivers licence

The man asked me what I do at work, what I do at the weekends etc also asked me why I wanted to become a citizen. He also asked me did I have a read through the booklet and what did I think? Finally he asked was I ready to take the test.

The test is easy if you fail I am sure you can do it again, if you speak fluent English and follow western values you should have no issue. I got 20/20 in just under 2 & 1/2 minutes.

The whole point to the test is to reinforce the understanding and the importance of Australian values and society.

Australia is a secular society

The Government makes the legislation

The police upholds the law

Religion is not above the law

Men & women are equals

See the trend?

• 2 months later...

Archived