Hello, teachers question

Guest Jimbobno9

Guest Jimbobno9

Hello,

My fiancé and I are moving out soon, she is a special needs teacher, what do you need to be able to teach in WA? Police checks? Registration etc? I had a google but I wasn't sure, hopefully someone can answer! Must be other teachers on here?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Guest Kelly R

Hi there my hubby is a teacher but were in Qld, I know you have to apply for registration which takes about 12 weeks, you will need to get certified copies of all your qualifications etc they have a website so you can apply online, check out smartteachers.com.au they are one of the main supply agencys for work, I would recommend the state husband has been doing supply for them and they have just offered him a 12 month contract, you can also apply directly to the private schools for supply, also try seek.com au and careerone for jobs, I hope this helps I wish you good luck with all your plans :cool:

Guest Jimbobno9

Cheers man! That sounds good! You know how teachers in scoland have to have "disclosure"? (dunno about rest of UK) is there an equivalent in Oz? Did ur husband have to do a police check of some sort? Or do these websites take u through that?

Cheers again for your info! Appreciate it!

Guest LainyBrady
Hello,

My fiancé and I are moving out soon, she is a special needs teacher, what do you need to be able to teach in WA? Police checks? Registration etc? I had a google but I wasn't sure, hopefully someone can answer! Must be other teachers on here?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Hi Jim

Google WACOT it's Western Australia College of Teachers they are the governing body for teaching in WA. You need to be registered with them and with the DET (Department of Education and Training) WACOT will check all of your qualifications etc DET pay you and organise jobs!!! Plus you need Working with Children Check - similar to disclosure scotland.

Good Luck

:wubclub:

Guest Kelly R
Cheers man! That sounds good! You know how teachers in scoland have to have "disclosure"? (dunno about rest of UK) is there an equivalent in Oz? Did ur husband have to do a police check of some sort? Or do these websites take u through that?

Cheers again for your info! Appreciate it!

Hi there my husband did have to do a police check for his registration but didn't need a check for children here in Qld as the registraion here covered that already I know every state is different but hubby said they will be a list with everything you need to complete it :cool:

You have to get registered and pay your annual fee (in NSW it's $100) but all states differ. SEN is very different in Oz, much more emphasis on certain programmes (Reading Recovery and Multilit in NSW). SEN jobs are hard to come by - as is teaching jobs in more desirable areas!