Do I need to clear car finance before shipping?

derham

Do I need to clear the finance on my car before I import to Australia, The cost for shipping and tax is higher than I thought. I was going to clear the finance but might need to keep it going and pay from Oz. Can this be done?:confused:

Guest Guest31881

I think you will find that you have to clear the finance if it is a car loan as opposed to a personal loan from the bank. if it is a car loan then the car belongs to the finance company until you have cleared the loan. I do not think you can remove the car from the country without the finance companies permission and as the car is security on their loan i do not think you will get it.

if it is a personal loan such as a bank loan, then i would think you could continue to repay the loan from Australia.

Yes, you cant sell or take a car out the country until your finance is settled, as you until you make your last payment the car isn't legally yours.

You may want to talk to your finance company and see if there is anything that can be done, or your bank about a loan to pay off the existing finance as you wont need to be in the country to a loan to remain active.

Archived