Hello from yet another Newbie!

Newfie fan

Hello all. I have been reading through this site and found so many of the threads helpful. My husband has just recently been offered a job working in Melbourne and they want him to start on the 9th Jan! It has all happened so quickly that I feel like my head is spinning!!:wacko:

What really worries me is that we haven't received our 457 visa yet and we have a 3 year old Newfoundland dog that we will be bringing with us. All the new laws on the rabies jabs is very scary and we will need to get Jessie on a flight before the 1st Jan (if we can). Needless to say I am feeling very stressed!:arghh:

I have also heard that it is difficult to rent properties if you have pets.....any advice would be greatly appreciated.:yes:

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the job offer.

To be honest I would start the vaccination process now just in case.

You shouldn't have a problem renting with your dog but you may have to agree to keep Jessie outdoors.

Thanks Moving 2 Melbourne.

We got Jessie her rabies vacination in September but only had the blood test done last month so really do need to try and get her in before the 1st Jan. The Pet Air people are being great so hopefully we can get her there before hand.

Thanks for the advice on renting a house with a dog. I have also heard that you can offer an additional bond for the dog to cover incidentals? Jessie will not damage anything even though she is huge!! She just sleeps all day :)

I really hope that the visas come through as quickly as possible!!

Wow Pommiecheeks that is soon! Congratulations on the offer though!! What are you going to do? I say go for it but be prepared for a few stressful months ahead. I've been told that its all worth it when you finally arrive in Melbourne. We have just been told that our visa application forms have only been submitted today so fingers crossed we get them ASAP!!

Congratulations to you too!

My husband works for a pharma company, who have an office in the CBD. They are paying for everything, sorting visas, allocating a relocation agent and putting us up for 3 months. So we thought, why not, if we don't like it we can always come home...we are viewing it as an adventure.

I will look for a part-time job, not sure what yet, never even visited Australia, so not sure what the job market will have in store for me. Our girls are 18 and 10. The older one has finished a-levels, but could not decide on a uni course, so its a good time for her to come along and see another part of the world. The younger one will I think, have 2 years at middle school, so we should have a better idea if we are in it for the long haul by the time she is due to go up to senior school.

Hi there Newfie fan

I am also new to the site and have accepted a job in Wodonga me and the wife are due out sometime in jan. We also have a dog Airdale Terrier just had bloods done last week but will probably be in quarantine for a while as we don't fly till late Jan. Haven't applied for 457 visa yet as still waiting for employer sponsorship and nomination to come back. Did you apply for your own visa app or did you go through an agent? and what does it involve. Everything happens so fast one minute your looking for a job then the next your trying to organise everything yesterday to get out. How long does the visa take to get on average? Sorry for all the questions

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy, Apologies for the delayed reply. Things are moving very quickly now!! Our 457 visa has been granted hurrah!! So now all the planning of shipping, renting the house and getting ready to leave by New Years eve has begun!!

Our employer used their agent to get us the 457 visa. We just had to fill in a few forms on line, email marriage certificate & passport copies over so it was relatively easy. The visa was granted in 5 days which is great!! I suggest that you chase whomever you use as the Ozzies are a little more relaxed then we are here and dont chase as often as we do :biggrin:

Good luck with the visa and all the move etc. We also had it all happen very quickly!!

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Andy, Apologies for the delayed reply. Things are moving very quickly now!! Our 457 visa has been granted hurrah!! So now all the planning of shipping, renting the house and getting ready to leave by New Years eve has begun!!

Our employer used their agent to get us the 457 visa. We just had to fill in a few forms on line, email marriage certificate & passport copies over so it was relatively easy. The visa was granted in 5 days which is great!! I suggest that you chase whomever you use as the Ozzies are a little more relaxed then we are here and dont chase as often as we do :biggrin:

Good luck with the visa and all the move etc. We also had it all happen very quickly!!

Great news on the visa, congratulations:wubclub::jiggy:

Great news, really happy for you! Just submitted our application...movers are arriving on the 28th, so fingers crossed that the visa arrives and we don't have to spend Christmas in our local Travelodge!!!

If all goes well you will have your visa in no time! Best of luck with the move! Let's touch base once we are on "the other side"

Archived