Living in melbourne V's brisbane

Guest wee wen

Guest wee wen

Hi there,

I have my permanent visa & our house is under offer. We are keeping fingers , toes & everything crossed that we (me , husband, 8 year old daughter, dog & 2 cats)will be able to move over to Oz mid January. There was a job opportunity for my husband a few months ago but we couldn't apply as we want to sell house. He has come in this morning saying that company are still looking for staff. Could be a good job for him. I have researched Brisbane & Melbourne & to be honest am totally torn between the two. Brisbane looks wonderful, but I'm not great in excess heat! Melbourne looks wonderful, but is the weather too miserable in winter. Also do many people have pools in their garden in Melbourne ! ( Got to dream !!!) I think at the end of the day we would go to the place with the job as this would be a great start to our new life .Looking at Springfield Lakes area if we choose Melbourne .

Could anyone out there give me their opinions !!!!

Much appreciated,

Wee Wen

Guest JoanneHattersley
Hi there,

I have my permanent visa & our house is under offer. We are keeping fingers , toes & everything crossed that we (me , husband, 8 year old daughter, dog & 2 cats)will be able to move over to Oz mid January. There was a job opportunity for my husband a few months ago but we couldn't apply as we want to sell house. He has come in this morning saying that company are still looking for staff. Could be a good job for him. I have researched Brisbane & Melbourne & to be honest am totally torn between the two. Brisbane looks wonderful, but I'm not great in excess heat! Melbourne looks wonderful, but is the weather too miserable in winter. Also do many people have pools in their garden in Melbourne ! ( Got to dream !!!) I think at the end of the day we would go to the place with the job as this would be a great start to our new life .Looking at Springfield Lakes area if we choose Melbourne .

Could anyone out there give me their opinions !!!!

Much appreciated,

Wee Wen

IS there a springfield lakes in melbourne? There is one in Brissie. I have been to Melbourne and lived in Brissie for nearly 3 years. If I had lived in Melbourne I wouldve gone back to UK by now!

Thats just my opinion, everyone elses will be different.

If I had lived in Melbourne I wouldve gone back to UK by now!.

Would you ?

OMG!!

Why's that ?

We're heading for Melbourne and I don't want any nasty surprises !!

Come on - spill the beans.....LOL

Ripha.

Guest JoanneHattersley
Would you ?

OMG!!

Why's that ?

We're heading for Melbourne and I don't want any nasty surprises !!

Come on - spill the beans.....LOL

Ripha.

It just wasnt right for me! It reminded me too much of the UK which is what i DIDNT want when I came to Australia. There are UK influences everywhere but I wanted to take in as much real australia as i could!

:no:In MElbourne, houses were too close together, general way of life too busy for me and weather..................ARGH!! 4 seasons in one day! I wasnt moving 16000kilometres for the same climate!

:yes:I live in Brissie where I have a great house on a decent plot. The weather is fantastic 95% of the time. MNy lifestyle is slower, calmer and more relaxed. Queensland is "the sleepy state!"

I had 30 odd years of rushing around and I wanted a new and better life. I got it!

Bear in mind though (please!) that this is only my opinion. THere will be PIO`ers that will shoot me down in flames for what I have said and I am sure that there will be some who agree.

Make up YOUR mind. Surf the net, talk to people, get your research done and then decide.

:)

MNy lifestyle is slower, calmer and more relaxed. Queensland is "the sleepy state!"

I had 30 odd years of rushing around and I wanted a new and better life. I got it!

:)

'Sleepy State' eh?? I could cope with that, cos I totally agree with you when you talk about all the years spent rushing around.

I hope we all find our niche and end up as happy as you seem to be.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Ripha

Guest jonseywife

Well, were heading for Melbourne and I cant wait !!!!!!!!

Get some different opinions first Wee Wen, we all have different needs and ideas of the perfect life, so whats right for one, is'nt for someone else !!! :yes:

p.s. And I'm sure your gonna have the "Melbourne possy" after you now Jo, so watch out !!!!!!!!!!!! .... lol :biglaugh:

Guest THE JONEZYS

Like Jo says.....each to there own.

They found Melbourne too cold.....we found Briss too hot and humid.

Depends what you want from your move.

If you really cant decide between the two, then you will have try a bit of time in both before you make your decision......unless of course as you say.......a job offer comes up and makes your minds up for you.

Lesley

Guest wee wen

Thanks for the replies so far ! Jo you almost have me wishing that we don't get the job offer in melbourne. Only kidding, we are really easy pleased & I think anywhere in Australia will suit, got to be better than here! We had booked flexible flights for end Feb as we thought we were going to validate then as we didn't think house would be sold in time to just go one way. We were going to fly to Brisbane , hire camper van & drive down to Melbourne via Sydney. This would have given us a good few days in both places to allow us a rough idea. However, and I'm really chuffed it is, it looks as house may be sold allowing us to come one way in January. We could still do the drive but this might not give us enough time to get rental which takes pets prior to them coming out of quarantine. No wonder I can't sleep at night !!! Meantime I'll continue reading what everyone else has to say on the website . I'm sure it will all work out fine in the end....

PS Jo I meant Sanctuary Lakes in Melbourne, Springfield Lakes is in Brisbane. One of the areas I am looking at but don't know if I could cope with the houses so close you could touch the next one, also where do we put the pool & the boat (still dreamimg!)

-Wee Wen

Guest mazza007

We have had the same dilemma, and have decided on Melbourne over Brissie on a one year trial basis.

I can only think that the weather may be of concern, but it can no way be as bad as the UK!

Equally, Brissie may be too hot!

We like a little bustle and fine dining and culture, which may be more apparent in a livelier Melbourne. Besides which, we are going to see Federer play in the Aussie Open final!

Remember, the population of Melbourne is 4-5million. They can't all be wrong!

Melbourne here we come.

We love Melbourne and have no regrets about being here!! Yes the climate is not as hot as Brissie but then its not anywhere as bad as the UK. We came here at the start of winter and at no point did we ever have to wear winter coats etc. As for the houses our next door neighbour is as close to us as what my next door neighbour but one was in the UK....so not that close!!

Originally we planned to live in Sydney, however we finally came to Melbourne and have never looked back!! After visiting friends in Sydney a few months ago....we couldnt get back to Melbourne quick enough and to be honest made us realise that if we had gone to Sydney then we would have gone back to the UK by now!! I am not putting Sydney down and this is only my opinion its just that after visiting 4 times we realised it was not for us!!

We have not been to Brissie so cant really coment although to be honest I think for us the constant temp is not us!! If I were you I would try and do a reccie as it all comes down to personal choice!!

Good luck Deb xx

Guest wee wen

Sorry, I meant house plot sizes in Springfield Lakes, Brisbane. Not plot sizes in Melbourne. Confusing everyone as I've had a distinct lack of sleep whilst I organise the next three crazy months in my head in the middle of the night. I obviously am not an expert, and really don't want to offend anyone already living in any of the areas, but I have been told that they have been made extremely small as per government direction for that part of Brisbane. Springfield Lakes looks fantastic & gets great feed-back & will remain top of our list if we opt for Brisbane.Obviously we will see when we arrive. We are looking for low maintenance so don't want very big, but do want side entrance & maybe room for that future pool.... (still dreaming).

Wee Wen:goofy:

• 6 years later...

We chose Melbourne over Brisbane due to -

- ability to live by the beach (the beaches in Brisbane are mud flats, you have to drive 1 hour or so to get to a sandy beach)

- more job opportunities (with no income everything else is a pipedream)

- gorgeous city, lovely old buildings, parks, wide boulevards with trams and outdoor coffee places etc

7 years later and Melbourne has exceeded our expectations in every way. We have a very outdoors lifestyle, we have a lovely family home within walking distance of gorgeous sandy beaches and just over 30 minutes from the city centre. I'm sure we would have been happy in Brisbane too, Melbourne has not disappointed in any way.

If I was to compare weather I would say Brisbane's weather would be better in winter, although we love going skiing in winter a couple of hours drive away. However Melbourne has truly lovely spring, summer and autumn days, as I write we have hardly seen rain for 3 months which is a bit of a problem. Melbourne also has little humidity, whereas Brisbane is quite humid and can make you feel very "sticky" on hot days. And even in winter there are many many days in Melbourne when it is 15C+ and sunny.

BB

Archived