How do we get this over?

Phil & Vikki

When we were packing up our things, there was a knife that I had since I was a young scout. The knife is as blunt as hell, but with handle is about 9 inches long, so quite a substantial one. We were told that we could not pack it in with our things, so left it in the UK. I have had it since a boy and it does mean a great deal to me.

My question is, is there a way we can ship it out to us here in Oz? Willing to fill out any paperwork and pay what it takes, but will they allow it in?:biggrin:

Below is the list of prohibited weapons for South Australia, I would assume NSW would be similar. Your type of knife doesn't seem to be listed. I'm actually surprised it wasn't allowed with your things, sounds about the same size as a chef's kitchen knife... If you have a photo of it, I would take it along to your local police station and enquire. Full info about importing knives can be found here http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp#e1066

These weapons are prohibited weapons:

• Ballistic knives.
  • Catapults, shanghais and slingshots that have a brace.
  • Three different types of chemicals that are often called tear gas, mace and adamsite.
  • Concealed weapons - that is, a thing that appears to be harmless, but which conceals a knife, spike or other weapon. For example, a walking stick that conceals a sword or an object that looks like a lipstick, but which in fact conceals a stiletto or blade.
  • Extendable batons that are extended by gravity, centrifugal force or by release of a button or other device.
  • Fighting knives (ie butterfly knives, daggers, flick knives, push knives, trench knives or other kinds of knives designed or adapted for hand to hand fighting (but not bayonets or swords).
  • Hand or foot claws that are designed as a weapon.
  • Knife belts that conceal or disguise a knife, dagger or similar weapon. An example is a belt of the type known as a Bowen Knife Belt.
  • Knuckle dusters.
  • Morning stars, that is, weapons that consist of a weight, attached to a chain, rope or other flexible material. In some cases the weight has a number of points, spikes or blades.
  • Nunchakus.
  • Pistol cross bows.
  • Star knives that are capable of causing serious injury.
  • Throwing knives that are capable of causing serious injury.
  • Undetectable knives, that is a knife that is capable of causing serious injury and is made of a material that is undetectable by a metal detector or X-ray machine.

Strange that you were told you couldnt take it, but often the shippers like to err on the side of extreme caution which doesnt help. I brought over 2 of my Dad's kukris and nobody said anything about them not being allowed.

When we arrived in Melbourne I was made to unpack a case by the AQIS inspector as he could see a "ceremonial dagger" in the x-rays, I was most indignant but of course did as I was told - it turned out to be the souvenier envelope knife with Sydney harbour Bridge & the Opera house on that we had bought on holiday the year before that he was seeing, not sure what would of happened if it had been a dagger though.

Funnily enough another case had a full set of cutlery including a 7 inch carving knife & escaped any attention at all.

Archived