Families and how to survive them.......

judyq

HI, just had a nasty argument with my mum and brother and wondered if anyone else has had the experience of family issues escalating when migration is mentioned!

We dropped THE bombshell about nine months ago with the intention of being out of the uk by early 2012. Well, call us naive but of course we didn't think about the housing market and six months later are no closer to selling the house!

The problem is everyone seems to be living with a huge pause button over their heads! Mum keeps saying the old..'if you are still here' , i am probably over compensating because we are going and trying to sort everything before we go. All seems a bit sad and cruel really... i even wonder if i am subconsciously separating myself from them...all too deep really

Not asking for answers just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience....

cheers, Judy

Yep, you are not alone.

Like you, we cannot sell house.

My dad is pretty good with it all and although he feels it he is too kind to say but my mum is awful and takes any opportunity possible to guilt trip us about taking her grandchildren away from her.

Just goes to show how people show their love and concern different ways.

Just gotta keep biting that lip and hope that we don't end up in a big argument before we get out there.

Chin up, just gotta grin and bare it!

Guest kangabanga

bloody families....makes a difference that I left mine in another part of country years ago!! It

makes the break alot easier

Guest guest37336
HI, just had a nasty argument with my mum and brother and wondered if anyone else has had the experience of family issues escalating when migration is mentioned!

We dropped THE bombshell about nine months ago with the intention of being out of the uk by early 2012. Well, call us naive but of course we didn't think about the housing market and six months later are no closer to selling the house!

The problem is everyone seems to be living with a huge pause button over their heads! Mum keeps saying the old..'if you are still here' , i am probably over compensating because we are going and trying to sort everything before we go. All seems a bit sad and cruel really...

Not asking for answers just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience....

cheers, Judy

Hi Judy.

My penny worth.

To me there 'can' be several reasons why people often say such things when migration concerned.

1. They (family, friends, etc) are going to miss you. They are coning to the realisation that you will be on the other side of the world and may not be able to see you as much as they used to, ESPECIALLY when kids are involved. This 'can' come over as bloody mindedness and misconstrued by the recipient.

2. The old green eyed monster raises its ugly head. No getting away from it, but some will look upon you with jealousy and can't resist having a dig.:mad:

3. Some will be fine one minute then say something completely out of character.

To my mind Judy whilst migration is a very personal issue it DOES impact on others as well, and at times this 'impact' will make people act in a way that we find unbelievable.

I 'think' in the majority of cases people whilst realising that they will miss you greatly will still (hopefully) see the reasons why you are going and fully support you.

I am talking from a very personal viewpoint here Judy, though often sad my family have always been supportive when I bugger off, but at times I found some of he things said a bit weird is all, but soon come to realise that the migration journey still impacts on them as well.

At the end of the day Judy, you have to do the best for YOU and YOURS and at times this will impact on others, but migration can be viewed as a little 'selfish' but that is just a peripheral outcome of the migration journey.

Most times a chat and listening helps, but at times nothing you will say will help.

Just be patient Judy, and try your best to focus on what you want.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Thanks for the replies.I think you hit the nail on the head Tony...it is all out of character and i think being British there is a bit of suppressed anger and outrage that we are doing it! Yes, there are children involved, I have three and you are right, that does not help! I think i have to be patient for them really or it is going to be a long journey!!

Archived