When can we apply for a loan or finance?

Guest michelledenham

If you acquired all these without a credit check, I'd be extremely surprised. Depending on the credit limits involved, they may only have been looking for negative events. Mobile phone contracts and credit cards almost always require a credit check. You wouldn't have been required to do anything, it would have happened as part of the application process. For each, a check would have been recorded on your file.

I am not saying I didn't require a credit check, I am just pointing out that for none of them did anyone say "You don't have a credit file" and it be a roadblock to my application.

Guest michelledenham

Hi all,

Very interesting reading!

I want to build a credit history inorder to apply for a mortgage asap. Renting is great but at the end of the day you are still paying of someone elses mortgage. I understand the need for a credit history and fully agree with it. When you are applying for a mortgage (which is often for a large sum of money) the banks/mortgage companies need to know that you are good at paying things back! They don't just take our ward for it! However, on the flip side I am not a fan of credit cards! Or store cards. So something big like a car loan and mobile bills is the way I want to go. Thank you all for your advice and help. As pointed out by a PIO member, it is very much 'different strokes for different fokes'. People are in different situations, need different things and have different values. None of which are for us to judge or disagree. Who knows why things are the way they are. xxxxxxxxx

Obtaining credit on arrival is extremely easy, providing you are working and have a permanent address.

I started my new job only a couple of weeks after arriving and moving into a new rental property on 12 month lease. I needed a car for work and applied through both NAB and Stratton finance and was approved by both in less than 24hrs despite only having 1 payslip for only one weeks pay (i joined week before payday).

The key to credit is the driving licence. Without an OZ licence, almost no chance. I was turned down for broadband one day, got licence, reapplied and got approved. Without doubt, the driving licence is the most important piece of id you can have here.

Banks are falling over themselves to lend at the moment

Archived