AITSL Help!!

EvieL8

Hiya all

Sorry if there is already a thread covering this but can't seem to find an answer to my question!

I am a primary school teacher with a 3 yr BA QTS degree. Having looked into the AITSL skills test I am aware that they do not recognise the 3 yr degree and specify that it must be a 4 yr course at degree level. I have received a draft letter from my university to send as supporting documentation for my skills assessment (if I go through with it all!) which states.....

Eve was a student on the Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Qualified Teacher

Status course (4 – 11 years) at LHU from

September 2005 to July 2009. This was a three year intensive

professional course (an accelerated version of the four year course)

to equip her to teach children of the primary age range.

As confirmed by the University External Examiner, she has achieved a

pass standard in practical teaching in her completed practices. She

has followed practical courses in all the subjects of the National

Curriculum and, at the completion of her course, she had been assessed

against the Standards required for the award of Qualified Teacher

Status as laid down by DfES Circular 02/99 and this was recorded in

her Career Entry and Development Profile.

Eve successfully completed the course and was awarded the Bachelor of

Education (Honours) Degree with Upper Second Class Honours (2:1) in

July 2009 having attained the same Qualified Teacher Status as those

students who took the four year version of the course.

What do you all think? Will this be enough to obtain a successful skills assessment?

Any advice appreciated!

Eve

Unfortunately I don't think you are going to be lucky - its not what the university think as to whether it is 'equal' to a 4 year course or not, its whether it is a 4 year course or not.

If you think of it from AITSL's point of view, they have to treat everyone the same, and that is that it should be a 4 year degree. It could be (I'm NOT saying it is, but thinking of it from AITSL's point of view) that you have a best mate that works at the uni who has written this letter for you (again - I am NOT saying that this is the case AT ALL), who obviously is going to say its the same as a 4 year course for you - but at the end of the day, its not a 4 year course, its a 3 year course unfortunately :( The last paragraph about QTS is irrelevant, as (even) GTP qualified teachers in the UK have QTS, but unfortunately all that means is the UK Governing body (currently the GTC for any non-teachers :) ) for teachers has said according to UK rules you can teach in a state school in the UK.

I know its a right pain and horribly unfair, it makes my blood boil the way this country peddles education (for eg the GTP) but at the end of the day they have to abide by their own rules I guess.

Who knows, you may be lucky and if its worth the fees gamble I really do have my fingers crossed on your behalf, but I would not be optimistic :(

I just received an assessment from AITSL as a Secondary school teacher. I believe that you are Ok. It was an accelerated course that is an equivalent of a 4 year degree, thus, you meet the requirements. But the best way to check if I am right is to apply for the assessment ans wait 10 weeks for an outcome.

Good luck!

It could be (I'm NOT saying it is, but thinking of it from AITSL's point of view) that you have a best mate that works at the uni who has written this letter for you (

You will be surprised but AITSL trusts letters from universities. I provided a letter regarding my prac, for example.

You will be surprised but AITSL trusts letters from universities. I provided a letter regarding my prac, for example.

Not really - the prac letter is standard practise and advised by AITSL to be supplied for stating how many days on teaching practise. Aa letter saying 'I think this person should be assessed as a pass' is not.

Not really - the prac letter is standard practise and advised by AITSL to be supplied for stating how many days on teaching practise. Aa letter saying 'I think this person should be assessed as a pass' is not.

I am sorry, obviously, I missed the " I think..." part

Thanks for the replies ... I would just like to confirm that I did pass!!

Having contacted the AITSL directly I have been advised that I would need to prove that the 3 year course is an accelerated version of the 4 year course so hopefully the letter will be enough, since it does actually state that this is the case.

Fingers crossed I get a positive outcome! :)

Thanks for the replies ... I would just like to confirm that I did pass!!

Thanks for your replies....

Having contacted the AITSL directly I have been advised that I would need to prove that the 3 year course is an accelerated version of the 4 year course so hopefully the letter will be enough, since it does actually state that this is the case.

Fingers crossed I get a positive outcome! :)

That's exactly what I thought! :) all the best luck to you! :)

• 8 months later...
I am sorry, obviously, I missed the " I think..." part

Hi Eve,

I am in a very similar situation to the one you have described and looking to do a similar thing. Just wondered what the outcome of your final skills assessment had been.

Any advise you could offer would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Archived