Cars, carseats & ISOFIX

Guest Guest55385

Guest Guest55385

Hi All,

We're moving out to Perth in 6 weeks and I've been doing loads of research on cars/car seats and isofix points.

I'm a bit confused by all this car seat tethering millarky and was wondering if someone could explain it properly to me please? Is it all car seats that need tethering, or just those between ages 1-4years? Do high back booster seats need tethering as well?

I understand that ISOFIX car seats are illegal? (despite being the best system in the world, but that's a whole different discussion lol). I am devastated by this news as all my kids (8, 3 & 1) have very expensive isofix seats.

Does anybody take the risk of using them? I can't find many Australian cars that have isofix points though? Has anybody been fined because of using them?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Any questions after you've read the first post and the replies, please ask away in that thread :)

I may merge this thread into the car seat one later on anyways.

Guest Guest55385

Hi Snifter,

Thank you for this, but just one question: Do ALL car seats have to be tethered? Including baby casules and high back booster seats?

CO

Guest Guest55385

I have to say I am very shocked by Australia's antiquated view on car seats and have been aghast to read australian parents forum's where they seem to have no clue about car seat safety.

I've been in 2 car crashes, 1 fatal, so maybe I am a little more sensitive over safety. I am contemplating (seriously) bringing over our isofix seats and trying to fight the system. I have already emailed the Australian Minister for Transport but have had no response. No surprise lol.

Am very worried about the poor standard of Aussie seats too :(

Hi Snifter,

Thank you for this, but just one question: Do ALL car seats have to be tethered? Including baby casules and high back booster seats?

CO

Yes. The top tether is part and parcel of Aussie car seats. Capsules use them as do high back boosters.

Guest Guest55385

Thank you so much for this info. Am totally gutted as my youngest's car seat set us back £250, so we'll be selling at least 4 seats before we come out!!!

I have to say I am very shocked by Australia's antiquated view on car seats and have been aghast to read australian parents forum's where they seem to have no clue about car seat safety.

I've been in 2 car crashes, 1 fatal, so maybe I am a little more sensitive over safety. I am contemplating (seriously) bringing over our isofix seats and trying to fight the system. I have already emailed the Australian Minister for Transport but have had no response. No surprise lol.

Am very worried about the poor standard of Aussie seats too :(

I can understand your concern. However, please know the top tether is a very good safety point and if a car seat is installed correctly it really does help secure a car seat. Isofix is not really any better per se than a top tether and correctly fitted seatbelt installation. All it really does is eliminate the margin of error and is in effect idiot proof to install. The problem with seatbelt installation is that so many people install incorrectly. When combined properly with a top tether it really is a good system.

It is also worth noting that the Aussie standards tend to test for far more than the UK/EU.

There is no fighting the system for using non Aussie approved car seats. Isofix (or the Aussie version of it) has been approved and is a couple of years away from the general public. It is in the design and testing stage at present. It will launch and will probably combine the Isofix with the top tether (much like the LATCH system in the US) as the top tether is a long standing feature and people are familiar with it. However, they may not insist it is used with Isofix, remains to be seen.

If you choose to use imported car seats that have not been tested and approved to Australian standards that is your personal choice. It is not for me to say what another person chooses to do with the information provided. Many who post here will probably voice their concern that you will be breaking the law and also possibly risking your insurance and medical insurance cover. However, I've yet to find anything conclusive on this. You could also be held liable in event of an accident where a non Aussie approved car seat is involved.

Please, feel free to drop me a PM about anything. I'm always happy to talk, explain and try to provide info on the Aussie rules and regs for car seats. I am pretty passionate about car seat safety, I'm a parent who opted for extended rear facing for my child and that is non existant in Aus atm. I have learnt a great deal simply as I myself am a concerned parent moving to Aus in the near future. I also can hopefully give you pointers for decent stores that sell and fit car seats etc and other things.

Cheers

snifter

ChocolateOrange - I also think you'll find there are a great many Aussie parents who are as concerned about lack of Isofix for car seats, lack of extended rear facing and lack of car seats past the age of 7 and other matters as you. I post on numerous forums and groups about such things and honestly, there are plenty of them out there. So don't feel you are on your own on this one. Just read the right groups and forums where there are more like minded people who are trying to get things changed is my suggestion.