At last ....

Guest Natalie and Lee

Guest Natalie and Lee

Having been toying with the idea of emigrating to aus for approx 3 years, this site has been invaluable in helping us to finally reach a conclusion. We're off !!!! Hopefully, visa approval achieved, we'll be making the move in Jan 09. Heading for the Central Coast area of NSW. If anyone has any info about this area it would be greatly appreciated - particularly parts to avoid ! My husband - Lee - is on a fact-finding mission in March next year - checking out schools, house etc. It's quite scary, but reading about people who have done it and seem to love it has given us the motivation and incentive to get on with it. We are both teachers and i am struggling to find much on here from other teachers ? Would like to find out roughly how long it takes from arriving to completing the NSW assessment to actually being in full time employment - we`have 2 small children and so don't want to be out of work for too long. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated ? Like is it worth shipping furniture or is it cheap enough to buy when you get there ? Thinking of loads of random questions !! I'll wait to see what info i get back from this and then probably post a load more !!!

Natalie :unsure:

Guest Kathryn
Having been toying with the idea of emigrating to aus for approx 3 years, this site has been invaluable in helping us to finally reach a conclusion. We're off !!!! Hopefully, visa approval achieved, we'll be making the move in Jan 09. Heading for the Central Coast area of NSW. If anyone has any info about this area it would be greatly appreciated - particularly parts to avoid ! My husband - Lee - is on a fact-finding mission in March next year - checking out schools, house etc. It's quite scary, but reading about people who have done it and seem to love it has given us the motivation and incentive to get on with it. We are both teachers and i am struggling to find much on here from other teachers ? Would like to find out roughly how long it takes from arriving to completing the NSW assessment to actually being in full time employment - we`have 2 small children and so don't want to be out of work for too long. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated ? Like is it worth shipping furniture or is it cheap enough to buy when you get there ? Thinking of loads of random questions !! I'll wait to see what info i get back from this and then probably post a load more !!!

Natalie :unsure:

Hi Natalie, and welcome to the site.

I have a few questions.... What visa will you be applying for? How old are you and your husband? How long have you been working as teachers? Are you set on living in NSW? You should be able to arrive in Australia being able to work immediately... One good thing for teachers is that the more points are now being awared for English Language Skills, so that it is more likely for teachers to be able to apply straight off for permanent residency.

Feel free to send me a personal email if you'd like more info.

Best regards,

Kathryn

Hiya dont know much about NSW,, but i know moving here with 2 littlies is bloody hard work.Well worth it,, but hard !!! We have been here nearly a year and havnt looked back,its a much better lifestyle for us and the kids.If NSW is anything like Brissy at the moment i would imagine you would get jobs pretty easily.The schools and child care here are really good and depending what visa you are on Centrelink will contribute to some of your child care costs.

We didnt bring any furniture as most of it was past its best.In hindsight i shouldve fetched my tumble dryer and fridge freezer(for outside).Have a look at Super A-Mart on line ,ikea or www.fantasticfurniture.com.au (you will have to check if they are in NSW).Ebay also gives you a good guide to prices.Kids push bikes are really cheap in Big W,K-Mart,Target etc,i do think outdoor plastic toys like little tykes are abit expensive and wish id brought the kids cubby,slide etc,,

Bedding is far from cheap so bring some with you,Kids clothes arent upto much either so get some shopping done and stock up!!!

ask away with anything else ,someone will be able to help,,good luck

Cal x

We didnt bring any furniture as most of it was past its best.In hindsight i shouldve fetched my tumble dryer and fridge freezer(for outside).Cal x

Cal - can I just ask why you wished you had bought your tumble dryer????????????

Guest jonseywife
Cal - can I just ask why you wished you had bought your tumble dryer????????????

Its only a guess, but probably to tumble dry her clothes !!!!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

(In the summer here, I still use my Tumbler for socks, underwear, t-towels & to soften bath towels etc., and when you have four kids there is plenty of all that I can tell ya !!)

Nat & Lee

Welcome to PIO..... and congratulations on deciding to take the plunge and move to Oz !!!!

You will now be on this site every day till you finally move !!!!!

Good luck with the process

Sally-ann :wub:

You guessed right Sal ,,!!!lol

In winter and overnight in summer the clothes get really damp outside and when your an un-organised stress head like me and hubby and son say at 7am on monday morning wheres my uniform??and you realise you left it on the line and its wet !!it dosnt go down very well/Also if your washing line is in direct sunlight your towels etc go hard.Hubby completely disagrees and says we dont need a dryer but come on us women know best !!!

Cal x

Its only a guess, but probably to tumble dry her clothes !!!!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sally-ann :wub:

Walked into that one didn't i?:goofy:

I can also be a bit unorganised so maybe I should bring mine too!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Natalie and Lee

Hi

sorry for delayed response - my 2 year old managed to wee on our router and nearly burn the house down by short-ciircuiting it ! so we had no internet connection - the joys of parenthood and potty training !!

I am applying for independent skilled visa (175) or so i'm told ! Heading to the Central Coast we think. My husband is doing a research trip at Easter 08 to check out housing, schools etc. I have relies in sydney so don't want to be too far away.

Natalie

Archived