Top 10 things to do in Australia before you die

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

At No 10

007328-best-of-australia.jpg

WIND YOURSELF UP ALONG THE GREAT OCEAN ROAD

One of the nation’s most spectacular drives, the Great Ocean Road in built into steep seaside cliffs in Victoria. Spectacular sights along the way include the famous Twelve Apostles and various shipwrecks.

It is also home to the most popular surf coast of Victoria, with its beaches often deserted.

Guest The Pom Queen

At No 9

006340-best-of-australia.jpg

CHASE A PURE DINGO DOWN FRASER ISLAND’S 75 MILE BEACH

Fraser Island’s famous 75 Mile Beach is the only place in the world where the rainforest grows on sand dunes at elevations of more than 200m.

It is a bird watcher's paradise, with 354 recorded species. It is also a 4WD heaven, with the vehicles allowed on the beach.

Guest The Pom Queen

At No 8

006368-best-of-australia.jpg

EXPLORE SYDNEY HARBOUR

There are many ways to experience all that Sydney Harbour has to offer - among the options include cruising it, eating on it, dancing on it, flying past it or viewing it from the zoo.

There are 28 kilometres of tracks around the Harbour, many through national parks and along beaches.

There are many historic sites around the Harbour including The Rocks and Old Sydney Town. Places to explore include two aquariums, Taronga Zoo, the Royal Botanic Gardens, the NSW Contemporary Art Museum and Darling Harbour.

Guest The Pom Queen

At No 7

007316-best-of-australia.jpg

SWIM WITH WHALE SHARKS AT NINGALOO

Australia's largest fringe reef, Ningaloo Reef runs 260km along the length of the North West Cape, Western Australia.

The reef offers an experiences of a lifetime: From mid-March to mid-May every year visitors can dive with whale sharks.

The world’s largest species of fish, whale sharks reach more than 12 metres in length and weight over 11 tonnes.

Guest The Pom Queen

No 6

CRUISE THE RUGGED KIMBERLEY COAST

One of the most spectacularly rugged coastlines in the world, the Kimberley is home to red cliffs and cascading waterfalls (including horizontal falls), tidal rivers with dense rainforests and mangroves.

The best way to see the coastline is by boat, as there are only a small number of 4WD tracks that become impassable during the wet season.

006913-best-of-australia.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

No 1 is Kakadu National Park (sorry but although it's stunning I think there are others that could have been at No 1, what would your No 1 have been)

006959-best-of-australia.jpg

JimJim Falls was the place we were trying to walk to in 1964. That was long before Kakadu National Park came into being (late 1970s).

An extract from my post, Reminiscing 3:

" It took us a day to get back to the 'main track' towards our Jim Jim destination. On the way, we came across a clearing where a bloke was having difficulty putting up a small marquee so we stopped and helped him get the tent erected and a few items offloaded from his small truck...That place we learned was Cooinda and the tent became Patonga, one of the first safari camps in the NT. The bloke was Don McGregor, one of the last of the recognised croc hunters.

After helping him, we asked about Jim Jim..."Oh, it's over there", he said as he pointed the way... We left the car at the tent and set off with a few supplies in a rucksack. A day later we were back, sheepishly telling him that it was a bit too much of a trek! Only about 40 miles and no tracks to guide us and high humidity in the jungle..."

Unbelieveably magnificent country in those days.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
JimJim Falls was the place we were trying to walk to in 1964. That was long before Kakadu National Park came into being (late 1970s).

An extract from my post, Reminiscing 3:

" It took us a day to get back to the 'main track' towards our Jim Jim destination. On the way, we came across a clearing where a bloke was having difficulty putting up a small marquee so we stopped and helped him get the tent erected and a few items offloaded from his small truck...That place we learned was Cooinda and the tent became Patonga, one of the first safari camps in the NT. The bloke was Don McGregor, one of the last of the recognised croc hunters.

After helping him, we asked about Jim Jim..."Oh, it's over there", he said as he pointed the way... We left the car at the tent and set off with a few supplies in a rucksack. A day later we were back, sheepishly telling him that it was a bit too much of a trek! Only about 40 miles and no tracks to guide us and high humidity in the jungle..."

Unbelieveably magnificent country in those days.

Cheers, Bobj.

Oh Bobj how wonderful to have kept a diary back then. It would be great reading, can't you put an extract on each day.

Awesome pics..

I've seen on a book the amazing Monkey Mia, a beach where you can feed dolphins...

Maybe that place deserves a place in this ranking, but can't decide at what position..

Although probably not first, I would definitely place skydiving onto a beach in there.

The views, although you'll only see them for a minute or so, are fantastic! :smile:

m_1040538a.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen
Awesome pics..

I've seen on a book the amazing Monkey Mia, a beach where you can feed dolphins...

Maybe that place deserves a place in this ranking, but can't decide at what position..

I have never been but I hear it's gorgeous:hug:

Here is a photo

monkey-mia-dolphins.jpg

Guest guest37336

Loads to pick from Kate, but this would definitely be in my top ten.

Though only saw it from the ground briefly way back it is a memory burnt into my mind.:yes:

[YOUTUBE]474Ra2DSgvM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Guest The Pom Queen
Loads to pick from Kate, but this would definitely be in my top ten.

Though only saw it from the ground briefly way back it is a memory burnt into my mind.:yes:

[YOUTUBE]474Ra2DSgvM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Where is that Tony it's gorgeous.

Guest guest37336
Although probably not first, I would definitely place skydiving onto a beach in there.

The views, although you'll only see them for a minute or so, are fantastic! :smile:

m_1040538a.jpg

My daughter did the skydiving stuff Froda.:wink:

Being a rather 'large' young lady and wearing the most 'inappropriate' top she ended up with two black eyes, but I think the instructor had a good time.:shocked::mad::biglaugh:

When she shows family and friends over here I have to warn them to avert their eyes at certain times.:policeman::biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.

Guest The Pom Queen
My daughter did the skydiving stuff Froda.:wink:

Being a rather 'large' young lady and wearing the most 'inappropriate' top she ended up with two black eyes, but I think the instructor had a good time.:shocked::mad::biglaugh:

When she shows family and friends over here I have to warn them to avert their eyes at certain times.:policeman::biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.

I'm surprised she let any of you watch it.:notworthy:

Guest guest37336
Where is that Tony it's gorgeous.

Burketown is the best place Kate, but 'can' be seen from other parts if wind and weather allow. Not sure about time of year though, around October time I think.

The ONLY ONE I saw wasn't as good as this one, only a few thousand metres across but it can get to about 800 kilometers in length.:jiggy:

Archived