Hervey Bay

bellaboshade

Yippee - our 457 visa's have been granted today and we are booking our flights to come out to Hervey Bay at the end of November - looking forward to Christmas time in the sun. Can anyone advise as to places to rent either in Hervey Bay or the surrounding suburbs. I have looked at all the retail web sites but you can't really get a feel for places from them. My husband will have a car for work but until we are settled I will either be walking or using public transport so don't want to be too far out. Also, advice on places to shop, supermarkets etc would be greatly appreciated.

If there are any users over there who live locally, we would love to meet up. We have two children aged 13 and 2 and are so looking forward to the move.

See you all soon xxx

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We've been in HB since January and are loving living here so far. Regarding places to rent Pialba is probably the most central location for shops, there are quite a few complexes in that area but with kids Our experience has been that a house is the better option. Will you need a furnished place to start with? If so a complex would probably be your best bet. Regarding shopping HB is not a metropolis!! Supermarket wise there is Woolworths and Coles and the 2 main department type stores are Big W and Target. Have you researched schools? When you arrive the school main holiday will be soon starting. My son attends FCAC and my daughter will be starting prep there in January.

Hope this has been helpful and if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask, will do my best to answer!

What are doing once over here job wise?

If you would like to meet up once you are here just let me know.

Regards,

Claire (bear 35).

Hi Bear 35

thanks for the reply - we will be out at the end of November and our furniture will be shipped out by the middle of January so we are staying in a resort until then, Quaterdecks Harbour retreat I think. Our daughter is due to start year 8 at FCAC in January and our son will go into Koala Kindy in August all being well. At the minute I am up to my eyes in boxes, shipping company are due next week and after that I am sure the panic will set in. Re jobs, my husband has a job as a doctor for the local mental health service and once our youngest is settled I will be looking to go back into nursing so fingers crossed. Would be lovely to catch up once we are over there

Best wishes

Tracy

• 2 months later...

Hi guys!

I see you must both be living the dream and settling into your new life in Hervey Bay! Looks like we may be following your footsteps very soon as I have had a potential job offer as a nurse in the hospital there! Just waiting for references to clear etc....so exciting!

We were a bit apprehensive about the area at first as we're weren't sure if it would be quite isolated and everywhere I read said it was a pensioners paradise! Lol! We aren't quite ready to hit retirement mode just yet, but it seems more young families seem to be choosing Hervey Bay too!

Any advice or even just a little taster of life in Hervey Bay would be very much appreciated!

Emma and Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Emma and Gary

we have been in the bay over a year now and still loving it, we have 2 kids 5 and 8 and they love it here, there are plenty of pom family's living in the bay, its not a pensioners paradise has there are a lot of young family's here to, the beaches are very safe for the kids has there is not the big surf you get like in the sunshine coast etc, weather can get v-warm and humid in the summer months but the rest of the year is great let me know if you have any more questions

thanks claire

Hi Emma and Gary,

We have now been in e Bay for tgree months and are loving it so far. We hqve two kids, aged two and thirteen and as Claire says the beaches are very safe, the water lovely and warm and the sand hot enough to thaw out your bones after the UK. I am finding out about toddler groups, and our little one goes to a kids gym, swimming lessons and a play group - he also has a nursery place ( child care centre as its known here) and a kindy place in August for two or three days a week.

Hope your move goes well and let us know if you need anything

Tracy

Thank you for replying guys, it sounds perfect for us! I have my interview next week, so fingers crossed its goes ok as they have said they are willing to sponsor us! No pressure on me then hey! :)

If everything goes to plan we are hoping to be out there by July/August time. We have been looking into places to stay for a few weeks initially until we get a rental so that we can get an idea of where we might want to live. So any places you have in mind would be great. Somewhere nice but reasonably cheap (if they exist!)

We are all so excited now I just really hope I get a job offer after this interview.

I will no doubt be hounding you again if I am successful as we can then plan things for real!!!

Thanks again

Emma

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys!

Guess what, I got the job!! We are so excited its unreal! They have said they will sponsor us too which is an extra bonus as it means we will be out sooner rather than later!

We have so much to organise now its hard to know where to start! I suppose we should wait until the visa process gets going first, fingers crossed that's all relatively straight forward.

Would be ever so grateful if you have any advice on some good temporary accommodation in the bay to begin with, ideally furnished (we are still having the debate on whether to ship stuff over or not!). We are hoping to secure a short term place before we come out and then find a longer term rental once we are out there! We would be looking for somewhere that is in a good location to shops, schools etc as we will also have to look to buy a car once we arrive.

Did you guys do it a similar way? or is it better to get a holiday rental for a couple of weeks and then find some where more long term during that time?

Well im off to drink bubbly! :biggrin: Apologies in advance if I am over loading you with questions already!

Emma

xxx

Hi Emma,

Congratulations - you must all be really excited about the job and moving - it's a big haul but so worth it we think. As you have a sponsor the process doesn't take all that long - I think for us it was about 5-6 months once we applied for the Visa. Have you applied to Aphra yet for your nurse registration - mine didn't take very long, only a couple of months, but I know people who have waited a lot longer and haven't been able to start their jobs on time as the NMC didn't confirm their registration etc so if you haven't do it I would look into it sooner rather than later.

With regard to accommodation we stayed at Quaterdecks Harbour Retreat in Urangan for about 8 weeks when we arrived. It gave us time to get to know the area and look around at the houses available. Most agents ask for copies of your first 2 pay slips as well so it gave us time to get those. They also asked for our most recent council tax bill as we obviously hadn't rented here before so bring a copy with you if you can. You also need two people to put down as references - as my husband was working he put down two people from here as chasing people from the UK can be a bit much for the estate agents (some aren't very friendly and will do a lot to avoid work). One of the girls knows the owner of The Bay Apartments and stayed there for several months whilst looking for somewhere to live - it looks lovely, good facilities and is right in the middle of 'town' on the sea front whereas Quaterdecks is right at the end and you really need a car to get around.

At the minute we are living in Eli Waters which is the opposite end of the Bay - beautiful house, pool, quiet area but SANDFLY (they love me), Torquay and Urraween are nice areas - there's a lot of competition for the good properties so you are probably going to have to be here if you want to stand a chance. Avoid the Augustus Estate at all costs - from what I've heard it's rather rough.

Also with regard to furniture - we brought most of ours with us except for the white goods - glad we did as nice furniture here is hard to find and pretty expensive - also as the houses are in the majority quite big you need a bit to fill them out.

At the minute my 13 year old goes to Fraser Coast Anglican college which was recommended as being the best school here and my son goes to day care at Star of the Sea catholic School - he is starting at Fraser coast Koala Kindy in August when he is 3.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Email back if you need anything else

Tracy

Congratulations, good to hear more young families are moving to the Bay! We were also sponsored by the company I work for and it was a quick process. We were fortunate as work provided us with. 2 months accommodation when we arrived so that gave us plenty of time to settle and familiarize! Are you flying into HB or just Brisbane? We hired a car from Brisbane airport and drove up here. We kept the car for 2 weeks and just dropped it off here in HB. In that time we bought a car. As with Tracy and some others from the UK we also lived temporarily at Quarterdecks. It is nice, fully furnished but a little remote if you don't have a car. My two kids also attend FCAC and we are happy with the school. In fact, the mum of one of my daughters friends in Prep is a pediatrician at the hospital, so maybe you will be working with her! Keep in touch and hope everything happens quickly for you.

Claire.

Thanks guys it's so exciting, I can't quite believe it is happening!

I have already got my AHPRA reg sorted, just need to pop into the office in Brisbane to finalise it. I'm so glad I sorted that first as it took a long 6 months to sort.

We are planning to fly into Brisbane, stay for a couple of days to sort a few things and catch up with a friend, then get a hire car and drive up!

Pew are waiting to hear back from the hospital at the mo as they have said they may be able to assist with relocation costs. This would be invaluable as its soooo expensive. So fingers crossed there.

I will look into the accomodation mention, thank you for that. I think we would rather be a bit more central due to the initial car issues.

We told my eldest son last night that we are def heading to oz now and he is so excited, although he did say 'what if the Australian children don't want to be friends with me!' bless him, I know he will settle in well as he is a very sociable and confident little boy.

Well thank you again, I will def be taking advantage of you're knowledge and experience during the next few months!

Em and family

xxx

Hi again,

Can I get some advise from you regarding booking our temporary accomodation?

We have emailed the owners of the Bay Apartments who have kindly given us lots of information. It looks perfect for us! However, as our visa is being processed and we obviously won't know for definite when or even if we will get it I'm hesitant to book anything yet. We have approximated that it should be completed by the beginning of July and will then book our flights straight away for within a couple of weeks of that time. However, Im sure we would be very unlikely to be able to book our temporary accomodation at that short notice.

How do we get around booking accomodation if we don't know the exact dates that we will need it? Did either of you experience this problem?

Thank you muchly!

Emma

Guest suesk

Hi we are hoping to move to Hervey bay area later this year, what entertainment is there for families? what areas would you recommend to live and places to avoid, we have a daughter in grade 6 so what would be the best schools in the area? from Urangun-Toogum how long would it take you to drive approx? what are the job prospects like for a first class metal machinist? sorry for all the questions

suexx

Hi Emma,

Regarding the accommodation - you shouldn't have too much trouble as its winter here around the time you are looking to come over and although there are some school holidays they are in early July so places shouldn't be booked solid as they are at Christmas which is summer ( still haven't got my head around it). I have met Denise who runs The Bay a couple of times as my friend Angela stayed there with her family for several months whilst looking for a house and they are now great friends. I will have a wird with Angela about you coming over and ask her if she can drop you a reply on this site. I know she has had a bereavement yesterday and is also due to go on holiday this weekend but sure she will be in touch when she can. If you like send me a personal message with your email address and I can let her know. You could also drop Denise a line to let her know the situation and ask if you could book provisionally and let her know the dates as soon as you book your flights. If all else fails let me know and I will try and send details of other places you moght like to try. Good luck with the Visa and catch up soon

Tracy

Hi Suesk,

Regarding entertainment it all depends what you are looking for - at different times during the year there are festivals in or around the Bay but they aren't weekly. There are a couple of places that do a veriety of water sports, mostly at the weekends, numerous kids parks, loads of beaches and a number of cafes and restaurants. There are also small markets at the weekend in different areas so you can find one either every Sat or Sun in different locations. For schools my daughter goes to Fraser Coast Anglican College which had a good reputation and my son is starting Kindy there later in the year, at the minute he goes to day care at Star of the Sea which is a Catholic day care although you don't have to be catholic to attend as far as I am aware ( at least I'm not). I've only been to Toogoom once and think it took no more than 20 minutes or so to reach the bay, it was a Sunday so not sure if it would take longer in the week but not much I wouldn't have thought. Urangan is the other end of the bay, about 15 mins away. As for the employment, sorry I can't be much help ther as my husband and I are both in the medical side so not sure about metal machinists. Hope this is some help. Good luck

Tracy

Guest Guest31881
Hi we are hoping to move to Hervey bay area later this year, what entertainment is there for families? what areas would you recommend to live and places to avoid, we have a daughter in grade 6 so what would be the best schools in the area? from Urangun-Toogum how long would it take you to drive approx? what are the job prospects like for a first class metal machinist? sorry for all the questions

suexx

Tracy has about covered everything you asked about but your husbands occupation could be a problem, there is not much in the way of Manufacturing industries in the area, He may be able to find work with the boating / caravan repair side, but he may also have to travel to find work in his particular skill base...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we have just returned home from a weeks holiday in Toogum - had the best holiday ever - so relaxing - the beach there is awesome - so vast! It takes approx 30 mins to get the HB but some of the roads flood so I would do more research if you are thinking of moving there. We are seriously thinking of moving our family from Brissie to HB but are very concerned about lack of things to do once they get to teenagers and beyond - any advice or information would be very much appreciated - Julie

• 1 month later...

Hey, just another quickie! :)

i have been in touch with FCAC with regards to my son starting in August and it all seems fine, which is great news! He is getting very excited now! However, I've noticed the college is quite inland and we are hoping to live a little closer to the beach. Is anyone else in this position is it a bit of a nightmare having to drive there and back twice a day? We walk to school at the mo and I definitely prefer this! Is there a school bus maybe that does pick ups in other areas (although not sure how I would feel about that). Very undecided on whether we should live closer to the school or closer to the beach?! Decisions decisions! Lol!

Emma

xx

• 2 years later...

Archived