Leave goods or sell

gazsmith

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help on this one for me?

We are thinking ahead about obtaining quotes from shipping companies and wondered if anyone can say if prices for white goods are similar to the uk or indeed as high as some people make out?, we are in a rented 2 bed and are leaving all wardrobes and alot of the bulky furniture, in fact we will possibly just take the bed, sofa bed couple of tv's and some medium sized items of furniture along with personal possessions, crockery and small appliances, not sure if i want to take white goods although they are good condition we only got them 2nd hand when moving into rented property earlier this year.

I do not know how the shipping companies pack belongings but i would invisage not even filling half of a container.

Any advice on the white goods or advice on shipping and companies would be grateful?

Sorry for the rant but hope you can make sense of this

Gary and Sue:confused:

I'd get quotes for it both ways. Shipping the white goods and not shipping. Then work out cost wise if it will cost you more to replace the other end or cheaper to take with you.

Personally I don't like the top loading washers that are popular in Aus and front loaders, while becoming more popular are still expensive compared to here. A fridge, unless its new(ish) I'd be inclined to leave. We've not replaced our FF here and will leave it when we move. Then splash out on a good one once there.

Tumble dryer... debate rages. Many people take them and find them useful in winter, depending of course on the area they are living in. Buying one in Aus can be pricey. I priced them up and something like our one here would be one of the most expensive to buy over there, a condenser dryer without a hose. As they go on for years, I'm inclined to take ours with us.

End of the day, its things like how much you have to spend the other end, if you plan to rent long term (look into rentals if they have white goods or not, lots don't apart from cooker iirc) and other factors.