Northern Queensland - Charters Towers

Cerberus1

Spending a couple of days in Charters Towers at the moment. Charters Towers is located around 140km South-West of Townsville. It was founded in 1870 as a Gold Mining Town and grew to have a population of around 30,000 (and around 100 pubs). Unlike many other Gold Mining Towns, Charters Towers continued when the Gold dried up and today still has a population of around 8,000. There's still some gold mining carried out in the area and there's many sites of historical interest around the area.

Venus Mill Stamp Battery (circa 1872) - used to crush ore to start the gold extraction process

Charter1.jpg

WWII Ammunition Storage Depots on Towers Hill

Charter4.jpg

Charter5.jpg

Remnants of Pyrites Works at the top of Towers Hill

Charter7.jpg

Sunset from the top of Towers Hilll

Charters51.jpg

Miners Cottage

Charter12.jpg

Panning for Gold at Miners Cottage

Charter10.jpg

Architecture

Charters65.jpg

Charters63.jpg

Charters67.jpg

Charters68.jpg

Gold Discovery Monument

Charters75.jpg

Local Graffiti on the side of a toilet block

Charters77.jpg

Well worth visiting the Venus Gold Battery (very knowledgeable tour guide), The Miners Cottage and the 'Ghosts after dark' screening at the Amphitheater at the top of Towers Hill - the host, playing the role of the ghost of Thaddeus O'kane (Newspaper editor of the Northern Miner during the late 1800's) was brilliant :notworthy: and really helps make history come alive.

Guest The Pom Queen
Passed through there this arvo, but a bit too tired to see anything...

Mebbe next time and soak up some good gold mining history..

Cheers, Bobj.

You should have said we could have met up:wubclub: ended up going back up the Lynd but then got lost so ended up back in Townsville:swoon:

You should have said we could have met up:wubclub: ended up going back up the Lynd but then got lost so ended up back in Townsville:swoon:

Got lost on the Lynd?:eek:

You'll have come back to civilisation (relatively speaking obviously) past our house

Kettles on:cool:

Got lost on the Lynd?:eek:

You'll have come back to civilisation (relatively speaking obviously) past our house

Kettles on:cool:

Actually that goes for Bob too...could have lent you a tent mate:jimlad:

Guest The Pom Queen

Now you tell me.

We had a few days in Townsville first, did the aquarium etc, then to Ravenswood, Charters, then the long way back to Townsville before heading back up the Bruce. I wanted to head to Hidden Valley but the sat nav threw a wobbler :(

Now you tell me.

We had a few days in Townsville first, did the aquarium etc, then to Ravenswood, Charters, then the long way back to Townsville before heading back up the Bruce. I wanted to head to Hidden Valley but the sat nav threw a wobbler :(

yep, satnavs will do that to ya anywhere between Hervey Range and Paluma...and actually anywhere north of Brissie in my experience.:skeptical:

But then i guess thats why its called Hidden Valley:wideeyed:

At least you didnt go looking for Why Not...cos believe me if you find it you'll know:wink:

Archived