4WD Driving Trips

Guest SoloRenegade

Guest SoloRenegade

Hi,

Moved to Canberra just over a year ago. We invested in a semi-capable 4X4 vehicle and have since met like minded locals who have taken us on excellent adventures around the local bush land, including the top of Mnt Coree. We've since spent a bit of money on getting the car a bit more capable and we plan to do more of the same.

We tend to do this in small convoys, and enjoy a relaxing day out... the family really enjoy it, we get to see remote bushland, rivers and creeks all worth a visit.

So if anyone else is interested or enjoys something similar and want to tag along or are already doing this and want to share experiences, let's chat.

Guest SoloRenegade

:-) well I'll try to explain what we have done, and perhaps will give you a bit more information.

One of the chaps I go mountain biking with suggested I join him and his mates on a day trip with our 4X4 vehicles. This involved us meeting up on a Sat am with the car loaded with picnic food, drinks, swimmers and sun creams :-)

We started off on some easy roads for the first timers, which also involved reducing tire pressures an testing the vehicles low range gearing. This took us through some of the bush to the West of Canberra. All on the fire roads. In fact most of the day was spent on fire roads or rough dirt tracks. Lots of steep climbs and descents which the kids enjoyed. Some of the tracks were quite tricky which involved us having to get out and walk the tracks and work out optimal driving lines. But nothing was impossible or really tricky compared to what I have done since. We stopped a number of times to enjoy the view, have a swim, have a bite to eat and let the kids run around. Swimming in the creeks was great fun, the water is so crisp and clean and the kids really got into it.

Why its such good fun? Well besides the enjoyment of driving these roads through the bush, its because you really are off the "beaten track" and seeing Australia in a different way. We've been to the top of Mnt Coree ACT's highest mountain, to remote picnic spots and swimming holes, including Flea creek and Vanity's Crossing.

Its has also given us the confidence to take alternative driving routes to places such as Adaminabey, Captains Flat and Tumut, which involved dirt roads through the mountains. It helps that the family enjoy getting out too.

I hope that helps....

Guest destinationoz

Brilliant explanation! Thanks! It sounds like loads of fun and I know our son would LOVE it but we haven't got a 4WD & I get motion sickness!!! Having said that - might give it more thought as it sounds like a brilliant family activity!

• 5 months later...
Guest SoloRenegade

The offer to discuss 4WD'ing in Canberra is still available and happy for you to join us on one of our next outings.

A couple photos of the 4WD on top of Mnt Coree with Canberra in the distance (impossible to see though)

pathy1.jpeg

Archived