Problem telling friends....via kids!

Guest likesshopping

Guest likesshopping

Hi - we are at the very begining of applying - have been assessed and ok for sir visa and have just appointed an agent....HOWEVER, because we have been looking into it for a while and sorting out hubbys jobs specification - kids have obviously heard everthing....my 9year old is very sensible and when we asked her not to mention anything to her friends until we know for sure or near enough that we wouldbe emigrating, but our 6 year old has informed everyone in her class including her teachers - that we are moving to australia and going to live in a big house with a swimming pool!

One of the mums asked me today and I just said that phoebe had it a bit mixed up and that we are going on holiday there next year and would nt if be nice to live there.........but then phoebe was upset because she thought we are going to live there ( dont really want her lying ...)

Any one in same position? whens the best time to tell - us and kids are excited about prospect - but dont wont to count our eggs sort of thing!!

sarahx

Guest nicoak

We also had this problem. Fortunately the friend my 7 year old daughter told was quite close, so did confide in them and advised why we did not want people to know - in case it all fell through. Have now been granted our visa so the cat has now been let out of the bag. The problem we have now is that our 10 year old was told that if SHE liked Oz and SHE wanted to stay there definately (we're initially renting for 6-12 months in case kids hate it) then we would consider a pet. Now she's telling all her friends when we get to Oz we're getting a dog!!!

Hope you aren't put on the spot too many times

Nicola.

Guest Arnold

:roll: Hi there, oh yes we know this well!

Told kids NOT to say anything and explained why, then last week in the playground a mum asks in front of about 6 other mums from my sons class....Are you moving to Australia? She explained that my son had told the whole class, the mum told her son that we probably weren't, however he went on to explain that the teacher knew all about it as well, so was it true? I was gob smacked :oops: and didn't know how to respond....I just said that an opportunity may come up for us to go however nothing was set in stone. Kids eh....

It's awful at the mo, we haven't even told our families as we are waiting for the TRA application to come back first. You can imagine the pressure we had over the easter break with the family over.....blackmails a wonderfull thing....if it works that is. Actually bless them they never breathed a word about Oz. :o

We tell them never to have any secrets than ask them to have one, and such a BIG and exciting one at that!

Guest daisydeeds

Yip. BTDT. A year ago today hubby and I went to speak to a rather nice man about emigrating. As the children then 9, 7 and 4 overheard our plans we suggested that they not mention it to anyone. Next thing is that our 7 year old had it for News time in the classroom and suddenly we were bombarded with questions and this has been the case for the last twelve months LOL. Ours are very excited to be going to Oz and like us, are getting a little impatient now. We have talked them through all the stages and what is to happen next as I think its important that they are involved at every step so that they are not left out of the loop IYKWIM.

Heres hoping that in the next few months there are going to be frequent updates ;-)

Daisydeeds

Guest likesshopping

Thanks all for your replies!

Daisy - you said you went to see about migrating a year ago - at what

process are you at now?

sarahx

Guest choobs
Thanks all for your replies!

Daisy - you said you went to see about migrating a year ago - at what

process are you at now?

sarahx

Hullo

We're waiting to be allocated a case officer at the moment. We're expecting that to happen in the next four weeks. Assuming it then takes a month to request meds and another month to process, we're looking to be moving in August or thereabouts. We lodged out application on November 28th last year.

Cheers

Choobs (Daisydeeds' husband)

Guest Beki

Once we had made the decision to go we told everyone straight away. The kids of course thought we were going tomorrow or next week and it was a bit difficult to explain that it was more likely next year but they seem to have got their heads round it's not going to be in a time frame that they can count yet.

Different reactions from all. Some didn't think we were serious saying things like "it's not that easy you know" some were upset and some said go for it. I'm quite glad we did it like that because there was no secrets at any point and as someone said we teach our kids not to have secrets which I think is a very important lesson.

:D Beki :D:D

Guest likesshopping

hi beki - yes, I must admit that the idea of asking our kids not to say too

much is a bit harsh...........I think you're right, and will now let people know if we are asked.

We've told both sets of families and everyone is behind us - they all cant wait to come over and stay with us (I can though)

Still at very early stages - meeting our agent on sunday to hand over our

dosh !

sarahx

Archived