Best short term rentals? where, and which?

Angela820

We are arriving at some point mid November (assuming our visa rrives on time) . We will be staying in a short term rental until we sort out a primary school for our son and then we will be securing a permanent place. My husband will work in Civic.

Can anyone reccomend a good short term rental. We are looking to stay longer term in Weston/Woden or Belconnen and would consider the Inner north also - assuming we find something suitable.

We will be travellng with a 3 yr old and a 4 yr old and as I think t will take a while t get a onger term rental - we would want womthing that will no break our bank accounts in case we have to stay for longer than 2-3 weeks.

A two bed apartment would be fine - just want it to be easy for my husband to get to work (once he starts - we may not have got 2 cars by then so cyclable or bus - able) and a good base for looking around.

I would love to hear from people on this. Also - if anone could pass comment on whether its bettwe if my husband comes alone first to do above and then me and kids follow? We thought about doing it this way but seems a big ask for one person to sort out

Angela x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Angela

We stayed in Ainslie in a small two bedroom cottage when we first got here from Canberra Short Term Accomodation. It was quite pricey at $900 a week but it had everything we needed - except a garden for the kids but Glebe Park was quite near so spent quite a lot f time there while hubby was a work. I know someone who stayed in apartment in Kingston but again that was quite pricey but a bit grander than our place. Both are fairly central so will give you a good base to find other areas and school.

There is a new apartment/hotel in Gungahlin up in the North called Abode. Don't know how much it is or what quality it is but may be OK. It will be a trip into work for your husband but it is only about 15 mins from Belconnen if you wanted to look around there.

Just a thought - you have said you are looking for primary school but when does your 4 year old turn 5 as this will depend on whether you need primary school in 2012. I think s/he would have to turn 5 before end of April but please check that and don't hold me to it.

Good louck with the search

Sara

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ralfjnr

Try Canberra Motor Village, its in O'connor 10 mins from the city centre and its a lot cheaper than services appartments.... really nice pool as well

We are arriving at some point mid November (assuming our visa rrives on time) . We will be staying in a short term rental until we sort out a primary school for our son and then we will be securing a permanent place. My husband will work in Civic.

Can anyone reccomend a good short term rental. We are looking to stay longer term in Weston/Woden or Belconnen and would consider the Inner north also - assuming we find something suitable.

We will be travellng with a 3 yr old and a 4 yr old and as I think t will take a while t get a onger term rental - we would want womthing that will no break our bank accounts in case we have to stay for longer than 2-3 weeks.

A two bed apartment would be fine - just want it to be easy for my husband to get to work (once he starts - we may not have got 2 cars by then so cyclable or bus - able) and a good base for looking around.

I would love to hear from people on this. Also - if anone could pass comment on whether its bettwe if my husband comes alone first to do above and then me and kids follow? We thought about doing it this way but seems a big ask for one person to sort out

Angela x

You might have that the wrong way round. You will need a permanent address for school enrolment. If you are staying in serviced apartments and cannot show evidence of longer term rental arrangements then you are likely to be told to wait until you have somewhere permanent before you can enrol your child in a gov school, especially the ones in high demand.

Find your house first, you are going to live in it 24/7 the school will then usually follow on as you generally wouldnt want to send your kid to school in a suburb where you wouldnt want to live.

With a couple of small kids I would be sending the DH along to do the donkey work - probably going to be easier on him, too, just having himself to worry about moving from place to place. Let him get the house sorted then move over.