457 confusion

Rock Hound

Hi all

So having been here for about 4 months on a 417 (working holiday visa) the company i am working for has finally started to sort out my 457. How successful this will be is anyones guess as the person sorting it out has so far signed a form putting the date as being 1960 :eek: and nearly caused my boss to start laying a few bricks by saying i could only work for the company till mid oct due to my current visa restrictions when it should be end of nov :no:

Now immi website and a few threads here and i am confused about the insurance part. I currently have a medicare card so do i need health insurance? I can't seem to find a definitive answer it all seems to run around in circles .

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

As you are already registered with medicare you can use your medicare card to comply with the 8501 condition.

"Being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501.

You can only enrol with Medicare if you are in Australia. If you have enrolled with Medicare you should provide evidence that you have been issued with a Medicare card as part of your application."

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/obligations.htm

You can apply to have you work limitations extended:

"Remaining in your current job while a decision is being made on an application for a visa which would allow you to continue full time work with your employer without leaving Australia.

Example: Subclass 457 – Temporary Business (Long Stay) visa, Subclass 820 – Spouse visa.

Note: If you intend to apply for a work extension on the basis of such a visa application, you must lodge the visa application before submitting the work extension request. Please direct your request to the Immigration office that is processing your visa application."

Archived