Scottish Qualifications in Australia

derham

Australian states all have different systems, so I am not sure about all of the states, but in Victoria there is no equivalent of standard grades / o-levels etc. The assessment up to the end of year 10 (s4) is all in-school so students leaving at that stage (I would say very uncommon) will only have school report. Your son would probably be looking to enter either year 11 to do the final two years of high school and finish the VCE (year 12/end of high school) or equivalent in another stateor alternatively to apply direct to a TAFE course - although most of these with a specific teaching area (rather than "general studies) would need VCE complete. If he is going back later he would be likely to get good.access as a mature student but if he would like to study a diploma degree before 21ish etc he would need to finish school in one country or another.

Australian states all have different systems, so I am not sure about all of the states, but in Victoria there is no equivalent of standard grades / o-levels etc. The assessment up to the end of year 10 (s4) is all in-school so students leaving at that stage (I would say very uncommon) will only have school report. Your son would probably be looking to enter either year 11 to do the final two years of high school and finish the VCE (year 12/end of high school) or equivalent in another stateor alternatively to apply direct to a TAFE course - although most of these with a specific teaching area (rather than "general studies) would need VCE complete. If he is going back later he would be likely to get good.access as a mature student but if he would like to study a diploma degree before 21ish etc he would need to finish school in one country or another.

Thank you, my son has 8 standard grades and sitting 3 Higher Grades this year and does not want to go to school in Australia. We are looking into TAFE or apprenticeships

Guest Gray family
Can anyone let us know how standard grades in Scotland are assessed in Australia, our oldest will hopefully have 4 to 5 standard grades all at credit level when we move next year. What qualifications will this give him in Australia?:arghh:

We are moving to Queensland from Scotland and I found this site. Hope it helps.

http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/downloads/senior/qce_legislative_guidelines_feb09.pdf

Can anyone tell me how many points you need to achieve the year 12 certificate?

Kind regards

Marion

Guest Gray family

Sorry should have said look at page 22 it shows points you can achieve towards y12 certificate based on how many standard grades/Int 1/Int 2 you achieve.

Marion

Thank you very much Gray Family.

I am not sure where derham is moving to but I have now found the site below for WA, it isn't quite as clear as Queensland but maybe I am not looking properly! I have sent them an email so will see if I get a reply.

http://www.curriculum.wa.edu.au/internet/Senior_Secondary/Certification_Student_Achievement/Overseas_Qualifications

This is the reply I got from WA today

Thank you for your enquiry to the Curriculum Council.

If your son is coming to study at a secondary school in Western Australia all he needs to do is to arrive at the school with his Scottish education qualifications. The school will decide the appropriate year level in which to place your son, based on his education qualifications.

If, however, you require an equivalence of your son’s Scottish education qualifications for another reason (e.g. training qualification study, defence force, etc.), further equivalence information and the equivalence application form is available at

http://www.curriculum.wa.edu.au/internet/Senior_Secondary/Certification_Student_Achievement/Overseas_Qualifications

It cost $30 for the equivalence certificate and the form etc are on the above link.

Hope this helps

Archived