Job offer - but there's a catch

JoandJon

Yes you are right, ofcourse you have to balance it but if it works out finacially then my opinion would be to go for it. 6 months is not a long time and it would be helpful experience in the Aus workplace. You have to remember that if your partner started the job today for instance that it would be done by march, it is not a long time in the grand scheme of things IMO. Only you will know if this could work for your relationship ofcourse. My partner works offshore so I am used to him being away a lot of the time but not everyone can manage.

My husband is a management consultant so I never know how long and where he'll be working. We recently moved to Melbourne and he's been to Singapore for a week, then Sydney for a week and it looks like he's going to be spending most of his time in Sydney. The company pays for his flights and accommodation.

We've got two kids and I'm 7,5 months pregnant with my third. I'm not saying it's easy, but I don't find it that bad at all. He gets home late in the evenings normally anyway, and most of the times he returns on Friday morning so we get to spend some time together on Fridays.

In the UK he worked in London most of the time so we saw him more, but even so we have a much better quality of life here. Bigger house, nicer weather, more space.:biggrin:

And I don't know a soul here in Melbourne - at least you'll have family around!

OH has decided he doesn't want the job - he doesn't want to keep working in the same industry in Oz and is looking for a fresh start.

We debated the pros and cons, but the verdict ended up being a No.

Main reasons:

We want to spend time together as a family, not live apart...

He wants to gig and develop musically...

We want the stork to find us (and living apart makes that more difficult!)

My new job will be pretty full on, having him around (even if he's not earning a lot of money) will be a god-send.

It's a new country for him, it will be harder for him to settle in if he's travelling back and forth to Sydney every weekend.

I'm not convinced we'll be financially better off once we consider the extra travel, food and accommodation costs :)

But at the end of the day what it really came down to is - Jon didn't want to do it!

So, thanks EVERYONE for your thoughts and advice - you've been great :)

Archived